Leopard upgrade advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by judino28, Jul 29, 2008.

1. judino28 macrumors newbie

Lifetime Mac user here with a question that I already think I know the answer to, but just want some support for my peace of mind.

Due to be a full time college student and being extremely busy, I have never gotten the chance to upgrade my Mac Pro to Leopard. Now that it's summer, I'm thinking of doing so. However, when Leopard first came out, I know that there were some minor stability issues. I am completely content with Tiger and just want to make sure that the upgrade is worth it. I would, of course, do a fresh install. My set up is a Mac Pro Dual Core Dual Processor 2.66ghz, 4gb RAM, 2 Internal Hard Drives (250gb and 500gb), and 512mb Radeon x1900.

I also have a Mac Book Pro Core Duo 2.0ghz with 1gb RAM but I doubt I'd upgrade that right now as I rarely use it.

So anyway, if you guys can think of any reason I shouldn't upgrade or anything else at all, please let me know. Thanks!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

You can always install Leopard on another partition and remove tiger only when you are satisfied with leopard. I upgraded a Macbook CD to leopard and I really like it. No issues so far.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

your hardware is fine, so only question you need to ask yourself is if you think what leopard had over Tiger warrants the expense.

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac mini with 1 G 667 MHz ram. I'm fairly happy with Tiger but I'm intrigued primarily with Time Machine. I also think I could put Bento to work and it needs Leopard.

Thoughts?

mt

5. theyellowdart macrumors regular

I upgraded to leopard shortly after it was released.

I had stability issues ONLY after the intial install while spotlight indexed my entire drive. Lots of unresponsive apps, crashes, and slow responses.

Once my drive was indexed, I really haven't experienced any stabiity issues that I didn't have in Tiger (be in a random lockup here, or an app crash there).

SO... don't know much of a reason not to update. It's nice : >