Leopard upgrade disk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prmccarron, Jan 10, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy an upgrade to Leopard (my Mac's too old for SL; buying a new Mac is out of the question) but I can't find it anywhere but ebay. I really don't trust ebay for things like this, because it usually shows it either out of the box or it shows a picture from the Internet, which could mean it's been used. All of the Apple stores and similar don't sell Leopard where I live, even the online store. Are there any authorized resellers that could sell it to me? I don't want to pay much more than $60 dollars, although I can. My price limit is $115, minus the $43 dollars for a RAM upgrade to 1 GB. So really my limit is $72.
    Please help!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please DO NOT post stupid responses like "Wow, you have no money" or "Why don't you trust ebay?"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Good luck with that. For some reason Leopard seems to command ridiculously high prices. Maybe because its the last PPC OS and loads of people are upgrading while Apple no longer sells it. Maybe its because people feel the need to "do it properly" and upgrade from Tiger to Leopard before going to Snow Leopard. Who knows, but its going price is ridiculous so be prepared.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can buy Leopard from Apple, you just have to call them.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My understanding for why you can't find Leopard at retail is because Apple pulls the previous OS when they release a new OS.

eBay is probably your only option for making it affordable. If you decide to go the eBay route, make sure it's new sealed in box. Don't buy upgrade discs or restore discs. Don't assume anything about the listing. If something isn't mentioned (like it being in box) then it probably isn't. If it doesn't say new then it probably isn't. If you need more info ask the seller, don't assume anything. Check out the sellers feedback rating and find one with good feedback and a good reputation. Good Luck.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

other posts say you can still buy Leopard direct from apple if you do it by phone. It can't hurt to call and ask.