Leopard upgrade DVD, can i do fresh install with it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kwfl, Oct 29, 2007.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

i received my Leopard upgrade DVD, can i do a fresh install in these cases
    1- the machine has nothing installed at all
    2- tiger installed
    3- leopard installed

thanks.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I can only answer based on my experience with 10.2 and 10.3 upgrade discs, but if Leopard is the same, the answer would be:

1) No
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

...previously, at least, it needed to see an install of either the current or previous OS. If such a thing existed, you could then do an archive and install or even an erase and install to get a totally fresh copy of the OS. It just needed to see that one exists on the drive before it wipes it.

3. guntech macrumors newbie

hmm problematic..

i just got my upgrade DVD for my macbook.. ,but want to install it on my Mac Pro
    so i tried to install... the the leopard installer didn't recognize my osx 10.4 disk
    hmm dont know what to do.. should i just buy a new one..

is it because its supposed to be just for MacBook (spesific machine) or because there's some problem reading my startup disk.. hmm
    also can i do fresh install with this disc?

please help..

thanks.

4. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

No, they are not specific for any devices

i bought two machines: an iMac and a MBP
    i qulified for leopard upgrade for both

the iMac one's arrived first and i upgraded the MBP with it. No probllems what so ever.

during upgrade, it said u gonna have tiger installed, but again it said if u are gonna do fresh install, u need 11GB of disk space. so to me that is a sign that i can do a fresh install.

5. skeptix315 macrumors newbie

cannot install upgrade dvd for my macbook

I received the free ($9.99) leopard updgrade dvd for my new imac. Had no problems installing. However, when I try to fix permissions, it gives me, "ACL found but not expected..." errors. I'll just wait for the next release to get this fixed. It's not worth tinkering around since all my programs run fine.
    I tried to install Leopard on my macbook which currently has 10.4.10 installed. Leopard will NOT recognize the drive. I guess I do have to buy the retail copy. But, I wish I could be sure that the retail would install for sure on my macbook.