Leopard Upgrade Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SChaput, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

I bought my macbook pro just over a year ago with 10.4 installed. When leopard came out i purchased the CD with a friend and we both installed it fine. Since then i have been running leopard with no problem. However, the other day i decided i wanted to reinstall leopard and start fresh. I am installing tiger as i type this and my issue is..
    The person i bought leopard with is out of town and i have been unable to contact him. I have my entire old system backed up to an external hard-drive, but need leopard to restore it. Since i am unable to get in contact with him, is there any other option i have for upgrading to leopard?
    Thanks.

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Purchase it legally? :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

How did you back it up? Time Machine? Or a whole disk backup like Super Duper?

3. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Dont get me wrong, i did pay for it...maybe not full price..but not 100% pirated. haha.

I have my whole leopard machine backed up with time machine. I called my local authorized reseller and they'll charge me 95 dollars/hour to put a disk in and watch the update happen. I can buy the upgrade disk for 60. Or wait to get in contact with my friend.
    Am i correct in thinking those are my only options as of now?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds about right. If you didn't buy a family pack with your friend, you don't have a legal copy of Leopard no matter what you paid for it. (Incidentally, if you don't live under the same roof with him, even that wouldn't be permissible.) So, you need to buy a copy. If you can get one for $60, that's a steal, and it'd be your best bet. AFAIK, there's no other way to restore from a Time Machine backup, though you could transfer files manually and just use Tiger instead (not everything will be guaranteed to work properly though, depending on the versions of the applications you have installed).

jW

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

What upgrade disk?

Anyway you stole the copy in the first place, so why should we help you? The install disks are for one owner on one computer, not for passing around to everyone you know. It's still piracy to me.

6. SChaput thread starter macrumors regular

Don't worry. I found someone to loan me their disk. I installed it, works great (again) and believe it or not the world didn't end.
    Thanks for the help.