Leopard upgrade issues PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by billo2007, Jan 3, 2008.

1. billo2007 macrumors newbie

:( could someone please help.

HI guys by the way

could someone please help i have an iMac one of the later versions 512mb ram 1.8ghz processor.

Basicly i am trying simply to upgrade my 10.3.9 osx to either 10.4 or 10.5 so i can use two new itouch's that i have bought my kids and wife for christmas.

however i have downloaded both upgrade dmg files from apples website

i get the following message when i try to upgrade to 10.4 "cannot install on this computer" apparently no firmware update is needed for the later imac's

i get the following error msg when i try to upgrade straight from 10.3 to 10.5
    "bill of requirments not found"

I have scoured the internet and still no joy, if someone could help it would be great thanks

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Have you a copy of the install DVD for either 10.4 or 10.5?

You can't upload a 10.x version by download - it has to be done by buying the disc and popping it in the drive.

The 10.x.x updates on Apple's website are for minor revision updates once you've installed the 10.x version from disc.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Are you trying to boot from the install CD? Did you purchased the boxed copy from an Apple store?

EDIT: Oh, you need to actually buy the physical install disk, you can't update 10.3.9 any higher.

4. billo2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response guys

i have not purchased anything

so basicly i have to go and buy this even though i already payed for 10.3
    i thought they were upgrade dmgs on the apple site

can you upgrade to 10.4 ie keeping all files/drivers? instead of doing a clean install?

this is really silly sorry for wasting your time

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When did you buy 10.3? It can't have been on sale since the start of 2005?
    if you spent nearly $1000 on iPod Touch, I'm sure another $129 won't hurt :)

Yes, if you buy a new OS you can keep all your files intact.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

there's your problem then... ;)

yeah. much like upgrading Windows XP to Vista, or Windows 2000 to XP, you have to pay. $129 for Leopard (10.5), or less, on eBay, for Tiger (10.4), as it's now not teh newest.

you can upgrade to 10.4 or 10.5 one of three ways...

upgrade - upgrades. simple.

archive & install preserves your files/folders/apps but acts like a clean install in reliability terms

erase & install gives you a clean install, and deletes all previous files/folders/apps

no problems. we've nothing better to do anyway ;)

7. billo2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a copy in work

its used on a diff mac could i use this??

thanks v much again

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to buy it.

You seem to have an older computer. If your computer is less than a G4 867 ghz, you will need 10.4 tiger install disks (black disks, NOT gray).

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

If it came with a Mac, no. The license permits installation on one Mac only. Just like Windows. Many Mac install DVDs are tied to the model it came with, too. i.e. a MacBook install DVD won't work on a Mac Pro, or vice versa.

Nail. Head. Except the OP mentioned the spec in the first post ;)

10. c-ray macrumors newbie

I noticed, and this may not help you but maybe some of the older guys here could chime in, when they released the ipods they gave a free upgrade to 10.4 I have it on my old G4 gigabit. Just a thought.