Leopard upgrade means DVD/CD drive no longer found.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Massnegro, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Massnegro macrumors newbie

Hello all, some help and advice I hope, please bear with me as I'm new to MAC's (well new to OSX), and I've had to get a mac as a new project needs Garage band, but thats another story...

I've now got a 2003 Power Mac G4, Mirrored Door, Dual 1.25 Ghz, serial number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, now the chap that I bought it from had upgraded to Leopard a while back but before selling he also did a wipe and rebuild, however in the process of the upgrade the machine no longer see's the DVD/CD drive.

Any help or sugestions on how I remedy this (he just used an external drive), is it just a driver issue,

Kind Regards

Andy

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think we need your computer's serial number. ;)

Can you boot to the computer's restore disks? Insert the disk and restart the computer, holding the C key from when the startup chime sounds until the  logo appears.

3. Massnegro thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, no tried a number of times, yet the machine only starts in Leopard....

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then it sounds like you've got yourself a hardware problem. Check the connections to the optical drive. If the cables are securely connected, you probably need to replace the drive.

5. Massnegro thread starter macrumors newbie

Bingo, sir you are a star…

Opened the case and it was obvious the cable was poorly seated. A quick push and hey presto it sees the drive.

I really was very sceptical of the chap’s story about the rebuild and the sudden loss of the drive since it sounded like sales flim-flam to me, but I was a good price so I went for it, good thing as though I have to say I may have been away from Mac’s for quite some time but I now love Leopard… So thanks for your help, so now I’ve solved that…

As the HHD is a bit on the small side for audio work what kind of HHD will replace the original and can be changed by a cack-handed numpty like myself.

Kind Regards

Andy

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

7. Massnegro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your help....

Kind Regards

Andy