leopard upgrade or fresh install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by milenkod, Dec 22, 2008.

1. milenkod macrumors member

considering upgrading to Leopard over the holiday weekend. I have quite a few programs already installed in 10.4 so I'm considering an upgrade. Coming from the Windows world recently, a fresh install was always better. What about OS X, same thing?

Also, can you load the install disk/image onto a USB stick, boot from it and install from it? Is that easy/possible?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For Mac OS X, upgrades usually work just fine. The nice thing is, for the times they don't, you can perform an Archive and Install, which usually fixes the problem, and isn't an option on Windows. The equivalent of a completely 'clean' install on Mac OS X is the Erase and Install option.

As for your second question: It might be. I've never tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

3. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone elaborate on this method/option? I'm not familiar with what Archive and Install does or is? (will Google search in the meantime)...thanks

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sure!

An Archive and Install requires more disk space than an upgrade or an Erase and Install, since it takes your old system, puts it in a Previous Systems folder, then installs the new system. There's an option to preserve users and network settings when doing an Archive and Install - this is useful, since you won't have to recreate your user account and manually copy everything over from the archive if you do this.

Also note that some applications may not work properly after an Archive and Install, and will need to be reinstalled.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Which is rare. I also prefer Archive and Install to get a clean OS install + user files/settings from before the upgrade.

6. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

So what do you do with the Archive? Can you revert? What if everything works out for me, can I delete the achieve...is it safe to do so?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, you cannot revert, and yes, it is safe to delete the archive.

8. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Then why archieve? doesn't sound like any reason/advantage to Archieve at all....am I missing something here?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, you are... doing an Archive and Install is the ONLY way to revert your system to an earlier version of the Mac OS without doing an Erase and Install. Remember that you cannot revert to anything earlier than what your Mac came with.

10. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

ok...having some issues with an Archive and Install. It keeps telling me that I can't install 10.5 without re-partitioning and destroying all the data. I've followed the instructions to upgrade install but it just won't do it.

...and tired a second time and got "Installation failed....installer cannot prepare the volume for installation". so what now?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're getting that error, that's because the disk structure is damaged. Open up Disk Utility and try to repair the disk (while still booted from the install disc). If it tells you that errors were fixed, and the volume appears to be OK, you're good to go now. If you get the error "The underlying task reported failure on exit", that means Disk Utility encountered errors it cannot fix. It is possible to repair such disks - more advanced tools are required.

12. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Bite the bullet and copy all your personal data(if you have any iCal, Address Book etc data that you need when in Leopard)over to an USB stick and then Erase & Install. Erase the harddisk from within Disk Utility when booted from the Leopard DVD. Choose the Macintosh HD partition on the left side of the Disk Utility window and choose the second tab in the window on the right called 'Erase' and erase your partition when you are sure that you have copied all your private data from your previous installation of OS X. Just make sure that your HD is erased as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I think then you will be able to install Leopard making everything funky fresh and ready to go. It's my favorite way of installing OS X. Nothing is left behind for you to mess with afterwards just some personal items.

Edit.. I think I might be slightly damaged. I've been installing OS's since AmigaOS 2.x when there was no Archive & Install option just reinstall the hard way with floppy disks if needing to reinstall the OS. Granted, this is not AmigaOS just my personal opinion of what you can do.

13. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

Just a few quick notes....
    1.) My drive says it has 66GB free (out of 250GB drive)...Is that enough for an Archieve and Install?
    2.) What I'm most concerned about is my personal files...iTunes settings (play list, ect...my library resides on an Airdisk on my AEBS) and home movies in iMovies, address book. What's the proper way to back-up and restore them as they were generated in Tiger and would be restored to Leopard.

all my Applications are dmg image files stored on my Airdisk and I can reinstall without issue.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Going from Tiger to Leopard is never particularly simple. However, it can be done. Most files will transition over without issue (for example, your iTunes library). Other things require a bit more work (Address Book, Mail, iCal). Address Book and iCal both support backing up the databases they use into a format that the newer versions in Leopard can import. Mail does the task automatically, assuming the Mail files are in the right spot.

Anyway, whether or not you have enough space for an archive depends on exactly how you plan to archive. If you're going to preserve your users and network settings during archival (which you SHOULD be doing unless you have a good reason not to - there's a checkbox for this option when selecting Archive and Install as the install type - make sure it's checked), you'll need enough space for the difference in system size between old and new, plus enough for temporary files. For a Tiger to Leopard migration this means about 15GB needs to be free, so 66GB is more than enough.

15. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

OK...So I'll try a back-up of my data and a fresh install. What exactly do I need to back-up to get back to the closest net configuration i have on Tiger?

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Use the built-in backup function (it's in the menus) in Address Book and iCal, just to be safe. These will create backup files, that you can then burn to disc or store on an external drive. Other than that, definitely back up your Documents, Movies, and Music folders in your home folder, as well as any other folders you created and any folders besides those that you use (Public, Sites, Applications, etc.). It never hurts to back up your Library, but doing this is considerably more involved - you can't back up a "live" Library. Mac OS X won't allow it - so, to work around this restriction, create a disk image (using Disk Utility) of your Library, and back that up.

Once that's done, go ahead with the install.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that, if you use the Archive and Install option with Preserve Users and Network Settings checked, most of the user data migration will be done for you. The backup is there just in case something goes wrong.

17. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

...therein lies my dilemma, the Archive and Install option always fails on me ....Leopard upgrade keeps telling me it can't prepare the disk.

18. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Look up for your answer.

19. milenkod thread starter macrumors member

So on a whim...I went to the electronics store to browse around for last minute Christmas gifts. I came upon a 320GB Seagate drive for $85...Thought it would be a good opportunity to try a fresh Leopard install.

A clean install went flawlessly. I used the Migration assistant and it restored all my apps and settings. Now the only thing I can't figure out is how to remove the original account Leopard set-up prior to the migration assistant.

Thank you all for the advice and help.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I prefer wiping the entire drive. It's a psychological thing and I'll load my programs and what I need on the fly.