Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Being newish now to the Mac platform and never having installed a new Mac OS, I have a couple of questions.

1- I Always did a clean install of any windows OS I upgraded to, as in wiped the HD, formatted and installed. Is this necessary with Leopard over Tiger? Will I see and adverse effects, slow downs or little nuances if I simply upgrade on top of Tiger vs. a wipe and install.

2- Any other pointers for the switch? Ill be switching on my new MBP and my new Alu iMac

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Being newish now to the Mac platform and never having installed a new Mac OS, I have a couple of questions.

1- I Always did a clean install of any windows OS I upgraded to, as in wiped the HD, formatted and installed. Is this necessary with Leopard over Tiger? Will I see and adverse effects, slow downs or little nuances if I simply upgrade on top of Tiger vs. a wipe and install.

2- Any other pointers for the switch? Ill be switching on my new MBP and my new Alu iMac

You'll likely have no issues at all. If you encounter problems though, you could always later do an Archive&Install. You certainly shouldn't need to do a full Erase though.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Archive & Install kicks major butt!!!!!!!!!!!

zepharus, remember that if you do a clean install of 10.5 from an upgrade DVD, it will not automatically put the iLife applications back on. You'll have to find a way of manually doing that.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Archive & Install kicks major butt!!!!!!!!!!!

zepharus, remember that if you do a clean install of 10.5 from an upgrade DVD, it will not automatically put the iLife applications back on. You'll have to find a way of manually doing that.

I have a copy of iLife 08', but if an upgrade over Tiger should cause no issues Ill give it a shot.

Also I can search for it but what is this Archive & Install thing? Sounds interesting

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Just to add my name to the chorus, on the whole you'll notice no difference doing a straight OS update. No need to start from scratch. Times when I've convinced myself my machine is slowing down so I do an Erase & Install, I discover I was in fact imagining it and it wasn't necessary. :)

freewill

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Does a straight update take less time than an erase & install (or archive & install)?

ghettochild

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Bay Area, CA
According to the Mac OS X Leopard Guided Tour (towards the very end of the clip) all you have to do is insert the disc and upgrade. According to the clip, the install only replaces what should be replaced, i.e., the system and some applications, not any files, bookmarks, etc.

Would be interesting to see if it's indeed that easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.