Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Will the upgrade to Leopard be avaiable to Macbook OS X or do you have to buy a new computer with in installed, it looks very good,

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
It will be available to anyone with a G4 or newer Mac for $129 ($69 for students with the education price).

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
it might help if you do 5 mins of research.

Yes it will definitely be available for purchase. Chances are it will be USD $129. It will be available online and at Apple Centres on the day or soon after release day.

other mythbusting; It will not include any activation code. It will run on any G4, G5 or Intel machine with FireWire and a DVD drive (late G4 machines, all G5 and all Intel machines). Chances are, even with the integrated GPU, you will be able to use all the eye-candy features in Leopard.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Will the upgrade to Leopard be avaiable to Macbook OS X or do you have to buy a new computer with in installed, it looks very good,

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll tell you all I know.
Leopard is the latest in the OS X series of operating systems. Tiger was released in April of 2005, and it was 10.4. Leopard will be 10.5. You can buy Leopard and use it as long as your hardware supports it. Since you have a mb, it will.
Should you buy a new mb after Leopard is released, then it will come with Leopard and not Tiger. If you buy before, it will come with Tiger, and you'll have to buy Leopard ($129 for general consumers, $69 for students) and perform a simple software upgrade.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Absolutely nothing to support the assertion otherwise.

Yeah, remember when Tiger came out and the iBooks couldn't support certain animation? I have a feeling something similar is going to happen with the macbooks.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Yeah, remember when Tiger came out and the iBooks couldn't support certain animation? I have a feeling something similar is going to happen with the macbooks.
Taken from a Macuser (UK) review from March 2006:

We asked Tom Boger, Apple's vice-president of desktop product marketing, why the company had changed its position. His answer was that the GMA950 was a huge improvement on previous integrated graphics chips and enabled the mini to run Core Image, which lets it do clever things, such as perform the ripple effect in Tiger's Dashboard and display the Front Row interface in all its glory. While the mini isn't up to the job of playing the most demanding games, the GMA950 is clearly significantly more powerful than the ATI Radeon 9200 installed in the G4 mini. The very fact that the mini now supports Core Image is a signal of the improvement in its graphics performance and that the move to integrated graphics isn't a retrograde step.
Given that was just over a year ago and that Leopard was originally due out now, I don't think Apple would be working on a GUI that excludes so many OS X users - particularly considering how many MBs the company has shifted. But hey! I'm not running the company, so what do I know?

Core Animation in Leopard - for instance - which I think is going to be one of the more eye-candy features of Leopard, is compatible with any Core Image-ready machine, which the MB certainly is. What's important in CA is whether the machine has more than one core; one core does the animation while the other runs the app.

Most of the arguments why Leopard won't run on MBs (e.g. see the recent thread), seems to be based on an antipathy to the GMA 950 or integrated graphics generally, rather than first-hand reports or evidence.

You could be perfectly correct, of course. Following WWDC, we should hear more first hand reports and get a better picture.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Given that was just over a year ago and that Leopard was originally due out now, I don't think Apple would be working on a GUI that excludes so many OS X users - particularly considering how many MBs the company has shifted. But hey! I'm not running the company, so what do I know?

Core Animation in Leopard - for instance - which I think is going to be one of the more eye-candy features of Leopard, is compatible with any Core Image-ready machine, which the MB certainly is. What's important in CA is whether the machine has more than one core; one core does the animation while the other runs the app.

Most of the arguments why Leopard won't run on MBs (e.g. see the recent thread), seems to be based on an antipathy to the GMA 950 or integrated graphics generally, rather than first-hand reports or evidence.

You could be perfectly correct, of course. Following WWDC, we should hear more first hand reports and get a better picture.

I wasn't refering to core animation alone. I was just giving an example of how anything can be insufficient for the new OS. At the time Tiger was released, the iBook was a huge component of the mac population. And yet, Apple decided to treat those users with a little "haha."
I'm just saying anything's possible, but thanks for reminding me what I was refering to.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I wasn't refering to core animation alone. I was just giving an example of how anything can be insufficient for the new OS. At the time Tiger was released, the iBook was a huge component of the mac population. And yet, Apple decided to treat those users with a little "haha."
I'm just saying anything's possible, but thanks for reminding me what I was refering to.
Sure - I read it that you meant the new OS as a whole; I just used CA as an example as it's one of the more eye-candy features.

As you say, anything is possible (and there is history to consider).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.