Leopard version 10.5.6

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gaughan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Gaughan macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently bought Red Alert 3 for Mac. When I ordered I was assured that I could run the game on Leopard 10.5 but it appears I need 10.5.6, could someone please tell me where I can upgrade this? or do I need to buy a new Mac OS disk? I assumed it would fall under the "Software update" category and I am installing updates as we speak.. maybe I have answered my own question but I'd still like to be a assured. :)

Sorry if this is a really stupid question by the way, I am still noob with macs.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Leopard is Mac OS X version 10.5.

The current version is 10.5.7 and can be downloaded via Menu Bar > :apple: > Software Update or at Apple's Support page free of charge.

All releases from 10.5.1 to 10.5.xx are free, only a 10.X release costs something, when it doesn't come with your Mac.

Also have a look at Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac to see what version you have.

[​IMG]

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Go to the Apple menu in the top right corner, select "Software Update", and then let it install whatever it tells you you need. 10.5.6 is a maintenance update (actually, you'll get 10.5.7 now, but that will of course also work) that the automatic updater will install for you.

If you've been letting the OS install updates along the line without paying much attention, it's entirely possible you already have 10.5.6 or .7 and don't realize it. You can check by selecting "About This Mac" from the Apple menu. It says what exact version you have right under "Mac OS X" at the top.

Now, if you HAVEN'T been letting the OS install updates along the line, you should start doing that--there are important security updates as well as generally improved reliability.

[Edit: spinnerlys types faster than I do.]

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, but with less information as it seems. You worded it better for a new Mac user than I did.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

it always helps to have the latest version of any software updates available. you run into a lot less problems this way

7. Gaughan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch guys! I will start updating more frequently now. The updates are installing as we speak. I'm posting this from my old iBook :D

Thanks! All up and running guys! I owe you one.