leopard very slow on macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey,

Went to test Leopard today in the stores, two stores, 4 different macbooks. And the finder is so slow? It's ok in normal use, but when using coverflow it's really really slow.. It also tempts to 'hang' a bit it seems when doing searches while scrolling. The same when I tested Logic on an iMac, slow & hanging!

This normal?

2. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I suspect that maybe the RAM installed on those Macbooks might have been too small?
    I have tested Leopard's coverflow on a macbook with 2GB and it was acceptable...sure it's not responding instantly but even on a iMac it didn't respond that fast.
    It takes time to load the preview images I guess...

3. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Also possible corruption.
    I had an issue when I installed Leopard the first time it was running super slow. Then I did a full clean install then it ran faster then it ever did before. The systems at the store probably just did the upgrade and there seems to be some issues with the upgrade especially if you had done some configuration changes.

4. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I think the chance of all 5 (even more) of the macbooks I tried in two different stores, behaving exactly the same, had the same corruption error though.. that's the reason I'm asking.

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I have one of the new macbooks, and I sort of notice the same thing. I think it may partially be a memory thing. When I Command+N in Finder, the first time it hung for a couple of seconds, then took time to make the preview images.

After I close that finder window, and CMD+N again, it's smooth. And! Scrolling through finder with coverflow is smoother too.

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've got an older CD Macbook with 2GB RAM and it works great here. Hopefully it's not an issue on the newer machines...

8. Jsingh macrumors member

I have a 17" Powerbook which is pretty slow at running coverflow, but my Macbook with 2gb of ram is pretty smooth.