Leopard VS Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ViciousSummer, May 21, 2008.

1. ViciousSummer macrumors newbie

I hate the Leopard operating system. I've never had any issues with any of the other operating systems and I've already had several with Leopard. So, my question is this:

Would it be difficult switching the OS from Leopard to Tiger (I'm sure I have a Tiger CD around here somewhere)? Would it be difficult to switch back to Leopard if they ever fix all of the problems? Any reasons you can think of as to why I shouldn't switch from Leopard to Tiger?

I'm fed up with a brand new $2200 computer (Imac) that is sluggish, won't run all of my applications (and if they do run, they often crash), no internet connection on the Windows side...should I go on? Most days I just give up on it and use my MacBook running Tiger...

2. jwt macrumors 6502

Did your computer ship with Leopard pre-installed? If so, I think you're out of luck. Tiger retail was never released as a universal binary. Only Intel Macs that shipped with Tiger pre-installed will run Tiger.

3. ViciousSummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I have an intel Imac that was shipped with Leopard installed. So I can't run Tiger on it instead? :eek:

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

would you mind saying what sort of errors you have come across? I have been using leopard since 10.5.1 and since 10.5.2 I would say it's been just as stable as Tiger 10.4.11.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

If your new iMac shipped with Leopard and you have Intel Tiger restore discs laying around I don't know why you wouldn't be able to downgrade to Tiger. The only problem I see you having are driver issues, which could in turn be bigger than any issues you're currently having with Leopard.

Instead, have you attempted posting help threads or searching for solutions to your problems here in the forums? I upgraded my iMac from Tiger to Leopard and there were a few bumps at first but I am no longer having any of these issues and after some tweaking Leopard is running nearly as fast as Tiger did.

6. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

What sort of issues/problems are you having with Leopard that is making you hate it? Obviously, it's not perfect, but both sales and overall reception would indicate that Leopard has been far better received than Tiger.

I'm certainly not an Apple apologist, but it seems like you may be experiencing more minor, software related issues. Are you actually having real hardware problems?

7. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it won't let you downgrade to Tiger....either the EFI or the installer itself prevents it from happening if the hardware shipped with Leopard (aka-any of the current Apple lineup besides the mini). Its sorta the opposite of Windows in that regard.

I agree with what the rest of the folks here are saying, though. Are you actually having hardware issues, or are you having incompatibility issues/bugs with software? Those are two very separate things...neither of which are necessarily the OS's fault automatically.

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I know for a fact that Tiger can be installed on some Aluminum iMacs that shipped with Leopard.

My work place did not support Leopard until lately and so they installed Tiger on all new machines. Some machines, like MBA, can not have Tiger on them, while others can. I am not sure how exactly they installed Tiger, though. I am sure they have a disk image that they copy to the brand-new machine.

9. serega macrumors regular

My Alu iMac came with tiger installed but they also drop in leopard disk so I lucky to have a choice, because I have both disks.

10. krye macrumors 68000

krye

You're probably out of luck. Any Tiger disk you'll find won't have the drivers for the new hardware. That's why Apple states that an older OS than the one that shipped with your machine will not install.

11. ViciousSummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure thing. Just to name a few of the problems I've had:

- Stuffit Expander immediately crashes whenever opened.
    - Adobe Fireworks MX will open, but if you try to do anything it will immediately freeze up.
    - Could not open Sims 2 because "at least 1 MB of available disk space" was needed (It's a brand new, maxed out iMac, come on now...)
    - Adobe Photoshop would immediately crash whenever opened.
    - Lexmark printer not compatible.
    - Bluetooth would not work.
    - Internet connection is detected but won't work anymore on the Windows side.

Apple support has "fixed" some of the problems mentioned above, but I have NEVER had one reason to call Apple support throughout my 20 years as a Macintosh owner, UNTIL Leopard. Now I have to call them once a week? No bueno. :(

I have not had any of the problems listed above on my Macbook or other Imac, which are both running Tiger, which points to the problem being the Leopard OS. My Imac also runs way too slow for being a new Imac, so god only knows what else is wrong with it.

12. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

sorry to kinda hijack this thread but i wasnt sure if making a new thread would be appropriate

i have leopard on my computer too but its not buggy but its def. feels sluggish (my rig is in my sig). probalby b/c my system is underpowered

but would running tiger make it run any better?

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

It sounds like a lot of your problems are app related and not necessarily OS related. Make sure you are running the latest version of everything and see if that helps.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well obviously not all of your problems are leopard related if something isn't working on your bootcamp side! Your windows partition has nothing to do with what Mac OS your computer is running.

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

What has that got to do with Leopard? That is a Windows problem and nothing to do with Apple.

As for the rest make sure you are running the latest versions of everything. I know for a fact some of the applications you listed have needed patches to make them work.

16. ViciousSummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Soooooo, if that is true. Why would the exact same application work on Tiger, but not on Leopard?

Trust me, I am a macwhore. I LOOOOVVVVEEE Apple and have never had anything but good things to say about them before Leopard. The fact that I need "patches" and whatnot to make multiple applications work (and BTW Fireworks is just not compatible with Leopard, no patches, no nothing), raises an eyebrow for an avid macwhore. Like I mentioned before, with every Mac I have had before (and I've had every operating system for the last 8 - 10 years), I turn it on and, like magic, everything just works. That is the beauty of Macintoshes. I shouldn't need patches, or calls to support, or deep searched into the internet trying to get a printer to work. That is SO IBM. Leopard is flawed.

I am running all of the latest versions of everything, BTW. I religiously (daily) check for updates hoping that Leopard will release an update that will fix all of these shenanigans.

17. ViciousSummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it has a lot to do with Leopard in my eyes. I can run the same version of Parellels, on the same wireless network, on my Macbook laptop (that is running Tiger) and I have NO problems connecting to the internet on the Window side. So since the only difference is the OS, there in lies the problems. That is just my common sense speaking, but if you can convince me of something else, please do, because I love Macs and this is so disheartening.

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You've only listed application specific problems. None of that has to do with leopard. And it's a little Naïve of you to think that you shouldn't have to put any work into your Mac for it to run properly, it's just a computer after all.

19. GroovyLinuxGuy macrumors regular

GroovyLinuxGuy

I had a similar problem with Virtual box when I switched from 10.4 to 10.5. I couldn't even get it to start up. I was using the same version I had been running successfully on 10.4. I waited a couple of weeks and when the next version of Virtual Box came out it worked perfectly with 10.5. So, this is not a problem with the OS as others have pointed out. The apps have just not caught up with the OS yet or you need to upgrade the applications that you are running. It's just the nature of computing.

Cheers

20. ViciousSummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ha, so it's everyone/anyone else, except Leopard? It's just me, it's the applications, it's the dust bunnies under my desk. Nope. Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm not a dimwit....Wait, I'm going to give one more chance at redemption here:

All application work perfectly on Tiger (running them right now on my Macbook because I can't deal with the Leopard BS anymore today). These same applications crash, crap out, pull weird ***** and just plain don't work when run on Leopard. So it's whos fault again? The applications? Oh. So, Leopard is so far "advanced" that it can't run applications that it's most recent sister (Tiger) could run and all of the applications in the world just cant be bothered by the power of "El Leopard"!!!!! Come on now.

Yes, I do expect to turn on my computer and the application should just run. That's how I was brought up. My mom had the very 1st Mac and I have been Macintoshed since then (so 24 years until a bomb [leopard]). If I wanted to fight my computer to do what I asked it to do, I would buy an IBM. ;)

21. ViciousSummer thread starter macrumors newbie

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Maybe you should update your applications. It's not like an app from OS 9 is going to run in leopard. Why should something from an older operating system run on the newest and most advanced? You have to get rid of legacy code or else the whole system gets bloated.

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I don't understand what you're whining about :confused:

Some apps need to be patched so they could work with a newer OS. This was the same with Tiger, but to a lesser extent due to Leopard having much more core changes. What's wrong with that?

Do you really expect an application coded to be used on older OS (when newer OS wasn't even announced) to run just as stable on a newer OS without any changes(patches)? :rolleyes:

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

What, you've never heard of backwards compatibility? I agree that after a time, certain things should no longer be supported, but at the very least, applications should be supported that worked on the last OS revision.

25. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

lol look what "backwards compatibility" has done to Windows :D Versions are few and far between, and the changes are mostly the design of buttons and menues. And ever-lasting flaws.

Leopard is a major leap forward in terms of it's core elements compared to Tiger. I expected much less number of apps that didn't need to patched in order to work correctly with Leopard. :)

Besides, its just a simple patch! Apps didn't have to be completely re-coded, like during OS9 -> OS X transition.