Leopard-what specs will cut it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sk3pt1c, Oct 17, 2007.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i want Leopard so bad, believe me!
    all the videos and some of the 300+ features do rock
    and have made me want it as much as the next mac owner,
    but...
    i have a powerbook g4 1.67 with 2BG ram

i know the OS itself will probably run pretty well on my machine.
    and i don't really care about photo booth, front row and so on.
    i do however care about the DVD player, that needs a 1.6 processor.
    does that mean that dvds on my mac will take up all the processing power?
    will i have to quit all apps just to play a DVD?
    and what about the "eye candy", meaning stacks and spring popping folders and so on, will that slow down because of my machine or what?

my most important concern, as i'd hope other peoples' as well, is that i use several apps for my work that can at times take up processor power, ie Photoshop, Fireworks (even iPhoto08 is a hog when you have lots of photos). i understand that my machine is old and i don't demand peak performance from it when running these apps, but i've come to terms with the fact that it will take a little bit longer to finish my work. will these apps slow down even more with Leopard installed? that would be unacceptable for me...

and will all the apps we now have work with Leopard?

i don't really want to pay for Leopard and do a clean install only to realise my machine can't really take it and clean install Tiger all over again, followed by the hours the updates are going to take.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Thats why the requirements are 867mHz or higher. So that you don't have to ask such questions.
    You'll be fine. Don't worry.

EDIT: Your existing apps will be hit and miss on how well they work until updates start rolling out. But most things should be fine.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The Main MR page has a run down of the Specs. I will tell you right now it states a 1.67G G4.

4. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

GimmeSlack12, the requirements are essentially 1.6 at least, because that's what DVD Player needs.
    i can't have the OS working properly and one of its apps crashing my computer or forcing me to quit everything else to open it.
    so again, will it be ok for me to run Leopard?
    i think processor-wise i'm just able to do it, maybe my RAM will save the day,
    but i don't want it all wasted on the OS, i need my apps to run the same way they do now...
    should i wait untill there are Leopard updates for the apps i really need for my work then?
    i'd think this affects a lot of people, a few smug comments won't cut it for me...