Leopard: Where is iPhoto & iLife?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcinfoman, Feb 20, 2008.

1. pcinfoman macrumors member

I just bought Leopard and upgraded my OS X10.3.9 to the latest and greatest.

I was under the understanding that iPhoto and iLife came with Leopard. Am I wrong?

I do not see it on my dock and I do not see it in the Applications folder either.

I see iCal, iChat, iDVD, iMovie, iSync and iWork, but no iPhoto or iLife. I also see Photo Booth.

Ideas?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You are wrong. You can get iLife from the install disks that came with your Mac.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You must purchase iLife for $78 seperately.

TEG

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or use the versions that came with his mac, which are on the install discs

6. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

Let me re-state this as I was partially wrong. I do not see iLife (now realizing that this is a seperate purchase), but I do see iPhoto.

When I run iPhoto, I get the following error message:
    ------------
    You can't open the application "iPhoto.app" because it is not supported in this architecture.
    ------------
    I know that most likely means that I do not have the minimum computer requirements to run it. Am I wrong? What are the requirements?

I have the minimum system requirements for iPhoto that are shown at http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/. So what does the error mean?

7. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I gave Apple Support a call and they confirmed what you said. It seems that the error message I got was due to me running iPhoto from my 10.3.9 OS and that is flat-out not compatible. The tech there did not know about that particular error message. iLife and iPhoto are NOT part of the 10.5.2 (Leopard) OS at all. Some computer may come with it, but the install disks do not.

I just deleted the iPhoto.app file so I do not forget and go through this again.

Thanks

8. bic macrumors newbie

old discs?

I've got an older iLife disc somewhere (not sure on the year, version) etc. but if its formatted for IBM, I'm out of luck, yeah? And if its a universal disc, I can only update to the newest version for that year?

Sorta bites, seems like Apple shouldn't advertise "you can do this with your mac" blah blah blah when in fact no, you can't. At least not until you spend an extra $78 for the software. Easy to use photo and video editing are huge draws to the platform. But if you just buy the OS upgrade... sucks for you?

I've never had a problem paying for an OS, but iPhoto? Thanks, but no thanks. I'll find something else. And use it for free. And remember that anything Apple says "is part of the Mac experience" probably just costs a little bit more.

This really bums me out :( I bought a used Mac Mini that had a clean HD wipe, and a retail copy of Leopard.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Your scenario is different from those that the commercials are geared towards. Every new Mac purchased comes with iLife and iPhoto, so yes, when you buy a Mac, you can do all that. The commercials and marketing isn't geared toward people buying used Macs from random folks 2nd hand or off Craig's List. Even refurbs from Apple come with iLife. So when you buy a computer from Apple, you get that stuff. When you buy from an Apple reseller you (should) get that stuff. Your gripe should be with the person you bought yours from, not with Apple.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Even so, unless it was a REALLY ancient Mac, it should have come with (at least an older version) iLife on the installation discs. If the seller didn't provide the discs, then that's not really Apple's fault.