Leopard - Will it open up to all hardware?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacVault, Sep 24, 2007.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Anyone think one of Leopard's still-top-secret features will be support for non-Apple hardware? I know... I'm dreaming :( I just don't want Steve Jobs deciding for me whether or not I live in an all-in-one-world.

Give me Leopard on a cheapo dell mini-tower and I'll forgive you, Steve :D

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Hell no, for the exact reason you just gave. I do not want to see OS X on a cheapo Dell

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

PCs are an open platform. If Leopard was released for generic PCs without massive beta testing with all the various video cards, motherboards, etc., the release would be an absolute disaster and do 1,000 times for harm than the Dadaist poetry generated by the Newton did for Apple. What a terrible idea this would be. Short the stock if it happens.

Don't worry though. It won't happen.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Neither does SJ

5. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, if you guys are right then @$%^ Apple :mad: Hardware-lock-in is the biggest single flaw in OS X. @$%^ Apple :mad: @$%^ Apple :mad: @$%^ Apple :mad:

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This news is a surprise to you? :rolleyes:

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, Hardware Lock is the the single biggest benefit to OSX. By not having to support millions of untested configurations you can make it run without flaws on a few select configurations.

8. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

That's not a great argument IMHO. If you take a look at what can be achieved with OSX86 you will see that OSX(86) can run just as reliably on dell / ibm / whatever kit as it can on Apple kit. I would not take much effort to write apple "certified" drivers / kexts for other hardware. Take for instance graphics cards/drivers NVidia / ATI / Intel have it all sown up already they must figure in 90% of all laptops and desktops that kind of dominance must make driver development much easier. And lets be fair Apple already develop drivers for all of those manufacturers............

And having a few selected platforms hardly leads to "no flaws".....my mac mini was banging and popping for a few weeks because of some powersaving thing that was broken in a software update.....

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

If you want OS X buy a Mac, its pretty simple. Why would Apple want to sell OS X separately and lose out out all the $$ in hardware sales

10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

You've been a member here for over 5 years that this comes as a surprise to you? Have you been under a rock without internet for the past 5 years?

Hardware locking has been Apple's MO from the beginning, why would it change now?

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

No.

Yes. Because you have run ALL the internal apple numbers and have found they would make more money by running OS X on any ol' PC.

Sure.

12. MacHipster macrumors 6502

MacVault may be too young to remember when Apple licensed it's OS to other makers. I doubt Jobs wants to put Apple through that nightmare again.

13. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Ha! I remember the Mac clones very well. I had a PowerComputing box. It was ugly, but it ran OS 8 just fine.

The problem was that Apple's OS was licensed only to certain [crappy] manufacturers rather than open to all hardware.

So.. since jobs doesn't want to put Apple through that nightmare again, then Apple's customers will instead be put through the nightmare of having Steve Jobs/Apple decide what kind of limited hardware options we can have on which to run the World's Most Advanced OS :mad:

14. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes, and on the same day you'll be able to buy a BigMac in Burger King, and Coca-Cola will release an ad saying "Drink Coke - or Pepsi, it's all the same really"

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm very happy with Apple's hardware offering. I love how the software and hardware work together. The day OS X runs on crappy PC's is the day I go back to using an abacus...

16. mwxiao macrumors regular

Do you know why OS X is more stable than any other OS?

That's because hardware-lock-in!

17. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

HAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D too funny.....and yes pepsi and coke are thesame thing D: )

Screw the abacus I'll switch back to lil stone pebbles!

18. jonnylink macrumors 6502

1) Steve Jobs has quoted Alan Kay in the past, saying that "people who are really serious about software should make their own hardware."

2) Apple makes their real money on hardware, not software.

I could go on if anyone wants and talk about bloat and such.

19. overcast macrumors 6502a

Let's be honest here, you've never used an abacus before.

20. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

The secret recipe to why Mac OS X is so wonderful is in the hardware. Asking for OS X to run on a Dell is like suggesting that McDonalds serve steaks with their existing equipment (high watt microwaves and deep fryers). Does that make any sense?

21. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Why would Apple charge Mac users $129 for a Mac OS X upgrade and PC users $129 for a brand new OS?

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Here is one for Windows. 166 Mhz Processor or greater.
    http://www.caltrox.com/products/abacus.htm

23. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...another topic that has been beaten to death countless times. It ain't going to happen, get over it, it does *not* make sense to do so in the big Apple picture.....oh yeah!

24. nigrunze macrumors regular

Right now I'm using my first Mac so I've never used a Mac OS X install disc other than the restore disc that comes with the computer.

I could be wrong about this but isn't the Tiger disc a full version of the OS as opposed to an upgrade like how Microsoft offers an upgrade version and a full version of Windows.

So is the retail Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger disc an upgrade disc or a full version disc? Whatever it has, Leopard probably has the same type of installer.