leopard will not install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bcvcdc, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bcvcdc macrumors newbie

I have an imac osx version 10.3.9 (panther) with 800 mhz processor and 768 mb memory. like an idiot i recently bought leopard to upgrade which requires 867 mhz processor speed. so, i can't install it on this computer, but my problem is that i can't access a lot of things on the internet with my current system, most importantly i can't access my .mac account. any suggestions as to what i can do here?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can force it to install, but you still will not be able to access a lot of things on the internet. IIRC, you would need to upgrade your RAM as well.

I'd recommend that you get Tiger.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

768 meg is enough for Leopard. I ran it fine with 512 mb on an iBook G4 1.33 ghz. Doing a force install requires alering the Leopard install files. There are guides on the web that can be found via google or mroogle search.

What are you having difficulty accessing?

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What G4 do you have? I have a 466Mhz DA with 768MB ram and it runs leopard well enough. I did not notice a speed difference from Tiger. Just don't have multiple programs open at once and you should be fine.

Here is instructions for the install I posted in another thread.

5. bcvcdc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody,

r.j.s. - yeah, I should have gotten Tiger but I'm now stuck with Leopard.

old-wiz - it's not the ram that's the problem, it's the CPU speed I think. I'm having trouble accessing my .mac account. - Oh, I just looked again, it's my browser that needs to be updated.

velocityG4 - I have a PowerPC G4 (2.1). And thanks for your help and info.

6. bcvcdc thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, here's the problem -
    Macintosh Requirements for Safari 4
    *Any Mac running Security Update 2009-001 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 or Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11
    *Mac with an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire®
    *256MB of RAM
    *Top Sites and Cover Flow on Mac OS X Tiger require a Quartz-Extreme compatible video card.

So, I don't have Tiger but can't install Leopard (well without getting a huge headache, being the non-techie that I am).