Leopard will not support 800MHz G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by clevin, Sep 26, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...look a bit further down, there is a thread about Leopard hardware requirements already and thishas been mentioned there (and another thread too)....oh yeah!

3. nigrunze macrumors regular

800 Hz computers haven't been supported for years. Even system(Mac OS) 7 didn't support computers with a 800 Hz processor.

That's a really slow processor:eek:.

Sorry about making fun of that typo but seeing as nobody said anything about it yet, I had to point it out.

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

lol, I thought this post will sink soon since #2 said its old news... and you pick on me?? :mad::mad::mad: :D:D:D:D:D kidding.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I prefer to use google to search the forums. Much better search engine. If you google "Leopard requirements" several MacRumors threads pop up first.

6. nigrunze macrumors regular

Highlight the bottom row of my previous message. I was just kidding by the way.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What? No Leopard for my eMac??? :mad:

(runs and cries...)

8. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I spoke with Apple on upgrading my G4 and was told that there would be no porblem at all to upgrade. I also jus chatted with some one on the Apple site about this issue, this is what I was told....

:apple:

Attached Files:

9. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Well that kills 50% of my Leopard funds. My dad and I were going to go half-and-half on it, but he has an 800MHz iMac G4.

Damn you Apple!

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well now you just buy one license instead of two...or did you imply one license on 2 computers lol

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

What does leopard ACTUALLY bring to the table that requires a 867mhz processor, when tiger could run on a 350mhz wasn't it? Does apple really NEED to cross off such a large amount of older macs?

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hopefully she's more knowledgeable then many Apple Store salesman. ("We don't have Intel iMac's. You're thinking of the G6's." )

I won't be upgrading anyway. Don't have the money, don't have the know-how, and Tiger just works.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The last time apple sold an 800 mhz computer was April 19, 2004 (the discontinuation date of the 800 mhz ibook G4). So they're failing to support the lowest end computers of 3 years ago. I don't know if they *need* to drop support for those machines, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. (not to mention the fact that although it won't be officially supported, it will run just fine)

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My dad and I usually buy the family license. Much cheaper than buying 2 copies. Well, Leopard is the first Mac upgrade my mom's been remotely interested in, and she has a MacBook, maybe I can go 50:50 with her. :)

Question: If my mom works at a university (which she does) would she be able to get a discount on the Family Pack?

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my understanding was that discounts only apply to the single license not the family pack. may be wrong though

16. kick52 macrumors member

It sucks that Apple is leaving the old machines out. Since they expect everyone to magically acquire a nice new shiny Mactel, they are now writing sloppy code with no respect for the millions of customers with old ppc machines. Bad.

17. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

They're slowly trying to replace M$ as the greedy crap-peddling empire.
    When i read about Leopard's requirements I instantly lost alot of respect for apple.:(

18. theman macrumors 6502a

I lost respect for apple the second i switched. i got a yellow mbp, and then another one, and then they would replace it a second time. had to deal with it for 2 days on the phone with their TERRIBLE hold music... :(

but hey, at least i will be able to run leopard. if i get a "good" mbp that is.

19. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

I saw vista running on a pentium 2!! "as half as fast as a G3":rolleyes:

20. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

As has been stated, you can run Leopard on slower machines, it's just not supported. But there will be a workaround, just like there is one for OSX on pre-G3 machines.

If it makes you all feel any better, I have a friend who is beta testing Leopard and he says he got it running on a b/w upgraded to a 500mHz G4. He said he had to max out the ram to 1gb to get it to work, and that it runs slow, but it works.

As for being greedy, come on. Jaguar is still a relevant OS, and Tiger will be relevant AND supported for at least a couple more years. It's not like once Leopard comes out your older machines work any less well than the day before Leopard came out...

21. Done-on-a-Mac macrumors member

The thing that worries me is that 3rd party support will drop for PPC Tiger a year after Leopard has been out.

Intel Tiger development will continue seeing as it is an Intel OSX, so there isn't much of an code difference.

I own a iMac G5 iSight & don't want it to become unsupported, by 3rd parties mainly, within a year. Though I can't make people support my Mac & all Macs will be unsupported at some point.

- Scott

22. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

In my experience, OS X doesn't require MHz as much as it require RAM. I believe that the more RAM you have, the better OS X will run. I'm not saying that any Mac with all the RAM in China will run Leopard with no problems, but if you miss the cutoff by 100 or 200 MHz but have a lot of RAM, then you should be good to go.

I just hope that Apple doesn't forget about the PowerPC too soon. I still love my G3, but everybody laughs when I tell them I still use it on occasion.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

even with the higher system requirements of leopard, will my macbook cd 2ghz 2 gig ram perform better or worse than tiger. that is my concern

24. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

If she buys 2 licenses with her discount, wont it be $60 each license, so you will be saving $10, unless her discount is more or less then student...