Leopard Without A Dvd?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sandysand007, Aug 7, 2008.

1. sandysand007 macrumors newbie

I had a drive crash and when it was replaced the tech installed Tiger even though I paid for Leopard and got the dvd's. The reason he used Tiger was because there was no dvd drive on the computer. How can i go about installing the Leopard for which I paid? I tried to use my imac dvd player as a connected unit but the install shuts off the computer and you have to start over again in an endless loop. Any tips?

2. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

well you can't have a macbook air because that shipped with leopard... so may I ask: where did the DVD drive go?

3. sandysand007 thread starter macrumors newbie

The unit in which the drive crashed and was replaced was a 350MHz PowerPC G4. It has no DVD drive. My iBook G4 has a DVD drive. When I linked the two so that I could use the DVD drive in the iBook the software install always shuts down the PowerPC as part of the install I guess and then we start the looping process.

4. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

the 350MHz PowerPC G4 doesnt meet the specs for leopard. you need more than 800MHz.

5. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

true, but it will still work. just very slowly. If you have another mac running leopard you should be able to use the Migration Assistant in utilities to copy that machine over to the machine without a DVD drive over firewire, bringing the OS with it :D

6. sandysand007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Maybe I'll just leave Leopard in the box and be happy that both the lap top and the desktop work fine as they are. I guess they had to charge me for something and the version they used worked and I got the box of dvd Leopard as a result.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

So let me see if I have this straight.

You have a PowerPC iBook G4 and a 350mhz Powermac G4. The Powermac has no DVD drive while the iBook does. Now you want to get Leopard onto the Powermac.

Does your iBook already have Leopard installed?
    If so I would connect the iBook and Powermac by firewire. Then start the Powermac in Target Disk Mode, so that it may act as an external hard drive. Then from the booted iBook install Leopard onto the G4 which is acting like an external hard drive. Though from your posts you may have done this already to try an install.

Anyways if you can not install to the Powermacs hard drive this way. I would boot the iBook normally (not the install disc) then boot the Powermac in Target Disk Mode. Then use Superduper! to clone your iBooks HD onto the Powermac, just use the free cloning part there is no need for buying the full featured program. Once completed the Powermac should boot normally into Leopard. I did this type of cloning before with Tiger onto an unsupported G3 iMac in theory it should work for Leopard as well.

If the Powermac does not boot properly after using Superduper! to clone your iBooks HD I would boot the Powermac into Safe Mode (hold down the shift key while booting). Then go to /System/Library/ and delete the two files extensions.kextcache and extensions.mkext plus repair permission with Disk Utility and reboot, this forces Mac OS X to rebuild its drivers list. Do not delete the folder Extensions:eek:.

Note: This procedure will only work from one PowerPC Mac to another or one Intel Mac to another. Trying this on Intel to PowerPC or viceaversa will only result in a unbootable computer without a reinstall.

8. kin macrumors newbie

thanks velocityg4,

I myself intends to install Leopard on an iBook with a faulty optical drive. Luckily I still have a iMacG4 around to test the methods you had stated.