Leopard won't instal on iMac??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

I just tried to upgrade to Leopard 10.5.4, I just got the disc from Apple Store Online. When I insert the CD, select install & English, it then restarts computer and I get a pop-up window after ~ 3-4 min of blank screen with the turning wheel. The pop-up says: Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer. For Mac OS X system requirements, see the "read before you install" document on your Mac OS X installation disc.

My iMac is Model 8812 and my upgrades can be seen in my sig. I'm not sure if my computer originally was a G3 processor but I had it upgraded by Daystar to a G4- if this could be the problem.

Any idea's what I can do? I can't load Leopard but I think I should be able to..

TIA

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

This could be it.

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it is Halloween.:rolleyes:

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Boo.

But no seriously, does your computer have a firewire port built in?

5. craigsharp@spym macrumors newbie

From what I found out you have a g4 with an original 800mhz G4. That would not fall under the requirements for leopard as you must have at least an 867mhz G4 to install.

You said you had it upgraded by daystar? what exactly did you have done?
    If you got the processor upgraded, keep in mind that OSX does not officially support upgrade cards. So it would fall on the upgrade company to support it.

6. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Daystar upgrades:
    XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 1.35GHz, 7457 CPU+512 Cache. With my Panther 10.3.9

7. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I'm not sure. I can't find anything mentioned about one in the original packaging(which really isn't much) nor on Google. For some reason I'm thinking it has an 800? but really don't know. It does have an ethernet port.

8. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I just used LeopardAssist to install Leopard on an unsupported G4. Very easy to use, just run the program, put the Leopard disc in the computer, and then program will ask you some questions, and then restart, and trick the Leopard installer into thinking that it is an 867mHz processor.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26562/leopardassist

9. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks very much for that info. I will try it later today and let you know how it worked-much appreciated...:D

10. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

did u check to make sure there isnt a ram requirement for this OS

11. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Well, I've tried this link and used it several different ways and just can't get it to work. At one point it said software download complete but it never did work. I also received an email from Daystar and he sent me the same link to use(except his wouldn't open for me). Looking like I'm really screwed, $600 upgrade which can't be upgraded and OSX.5.4 which I can't use.:eek:

12. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I've returned an e-mail to Daystar about this but don't imagine I'll hear for a couple more days if I do.:eek:

13. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

To be blunt, a processor upgrade probably isn't going to fool the installer (as in this case), most likely due to other system aspects (i.e., an inferior graphics card). You might find success with some modifications done to Leopard's installer, but truth be told, I'd just buy a used iBook G4 (that's speedy enough to run Leopard) and use that if I were you.

14. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

UPDATE: I did a Google search and downloaded Leopard Assist from this site: http://mac.profusehost.net/leopardassist/index.html

After reading their information I successfully installed 10.5.4 :D I had to type in mac-boot which apparently wasn't suppose to be needed with this assist program, I also had to flash the PRAM. Next thing, I wonder if I will be able to make the periodic upgrades to Leopard.

Something I noticed, when selecting "About this Mac" it no longer says PROCESSOR: 1.35 GHz but now says 350 MHz PowerPC G4.

P.S. I just upgraded to 10.5.5 sucessfully !!