Leopard won't install on my INTERNAL drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jkester, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jkester macrumors member

Hi guys. I'm trying to install Leopard but it doesn't "see" my internal HD as a volume during the installation process. I have 14GB free so its not that. Also, my externals show up. Ideas? Thanks.

-ジョン

2. Selenolycus macrumors regular

I had this exact same issue.

Go to the installer's disk utility, select the partition for your internal drive, unmount, then mount it again. Go back - hopefully it'll show-up.

3. Oubipaws macrumors newbie

Don't feel bad, I just got my copy in the mail an hour ago and happily booted it up hoping to install....didn't work.

I can boot the install disk, but when getting to the select volume screen, it's blank. Upon opening the Disk Utility, it shows my cdrom and harddrive, but I cannot format it. It states invalid drive.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with 10.4 - no problems before with this laptop ever. Thanks!

4. juliuspleaser macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook and it shows the Hard drive to install on but with a red exclamation saying it cannot startup from disk. So I have no valid drives to install on

5. Oubipaws macrumors newbie

UPDATE -- I left my MBP sitting on the select hard drive screen while on my linux box searching for a solution for the hard drive problem. All of the sudden after about 15 minutes it popped up, selected to format drive, and now seems to be installing fine.

So maybe just let it sit for a few minutes and it might work out like mine did.

6. kevinwiz macrumors regular

same thing happened to me! i need help

Attached Files:

7. slb macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue on a MacBook Core Duo, I ran Tiger's Disk Utility to check for problems with the drive, and it found none. I'll try what you suggested. It's not even showing a partition in the Leopard installer's Disk Utility, just the hard drive itself.

Edit: I don't have Boot Camp installed nor a Windows partition.

8. firefoxnx macrumors member

firefoxnx

9. slb macrumors 6502

I tried the solution given above, and it didn't work. There's no option to unmount the hard drive in Disk Utility.

This is exactly the problem I'm having on my MacBook Core Duo. The hard drive is listed in the Leopard Disk Utility's source list, but there are no partitions. It reboots into the existing Tiger install fine, and the drive reports no problems when checked with Tiger's Disk Utility.

10. kevinwiz macrumors regular

11. Captain-Fungi macrumors member

Not really a solution to your problem but something I would try. Use the Tiger Disk to get to Disk Utility to erase the drive but click "Security Options" and click zero fill. This will write zeroes all over the disk which might help the problem.

But be WARNED that this will permanently erase your data and it wont be recoverable!

The try the Leopard install again.

Good luck.

12. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue, and called AppleCare. They told me it was a known problem. The proposed solution: if no volume appears, keep clicking inthe white space. This will refresh the view. At one point or another l,the drive should show up.

Another problem I have now is that after the installation, the Mac boots and shows the Aplle logo and the spinning progress indicator, but threre seems to be no progress. Even after 15 min waiting or so. There is disk activity though...

13. Outrider macrumors newbie

No disk to install to

This happened to me as well. I launched disk utility from the install DVD, verified that the disk was in fact there and not beamed to some other reality. When I quit the disk utility, the installer saw the disk. It then spent an hour and change doing the install to leave me with a blue screen.

No Leopard, no Tiger just a blue screen.

I'm so impressed with Leopard so far, I'll go boot a SUSE machine just to remind myself that functional software is actually available at release.

Glad to hear someone got through to AppleCare. A "known" problem with software that released today...

That's very telling isn't it. "We shipped crap and did so intentionally"

14. toshoklabs macrumors newbie

this happened to me

I just waited about 5 minutes, and then my drive finally showed up

15. California King macrumors 65816

Wow, seems like a problem for lots of people. Jeez, I hope it doesn't happen to me!

16. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

same issue i had. i booted from CD and it only showed my external backup volume. i waited a minute or two then rebooted. same problem. so i waited longer... about 3-5 minutes and what do you know... my internal hard drive finally appeared.

it works, just takes a long time to appear. i think it may be because i had a bootcamp partition on it as it seems others in this thread had the same setup.

17. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i'm running into the problem right now on my PB G4. i'm sitting at the "select a destination" screen and there are zero hard drives showing up...

looks like i'll wait it out for a few to see if it pops up...

EDIT: after about 10-15 minutes... it finally popped up! installing now....

18. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

happened to me, I went into disk utility, (from the leopard disc) and the drive was there, restarted, still nothing. Started terminal, (again from the leopard disk) ran /sbin/fsck -fy went back into the installer and my disk was there. Installed fine after that.

19. TimJim macrumors 6502a

i can see my internal drive but it has a exclamation point next to it. ive repaired permissions, restarted, mounted/unmounted, what else can i do?

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Same thing happened to me..couldn't see the drive until I screwed around in Disk utility.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Did any of you guys delete the EFI partition due to using prerelease versions of Vista?

22. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Not me, never used bootcamp.

23. mynameisjesse macrumors member

I didn't have that problem, but when I tried the Upgrade install it stopped at like 1 hour and 3 minutes left. I had to quit and retry. Seemed to install fine, until it tried to boot up at which point it kept getting stuck at the loading screen. Tried rebooting a bunch of times, but nothing. Sooooo I went to archive install, annnd it stalled out just like my first try. Finally, I went with a clean install and everything worked fine. Not too happy about losing all my files, but I knew the risk and have MOST of my important files backed up.

But besides that, the install was suppppper fast and leopard is great.