Leopard wont install - PLEASE HELP NICE SHOESY!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shoesy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

OK so I had waited for a bit but now I have gone and bought Leopard.

So obviously today is the day my Matshita drive breaks, and yes I have cleaned it, and no it just wont take my Leopard install DVD (even after turning it upside down as a different thread suggested!).

After a bit of screaming I have gone and bought a replacement DVD drive. And no, I didnt get a firewire one. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake.

The DVD drive I did get does seem to be working under Tiger, I can see the nice new leopard install app, unfortunately when I try to run it it just restarts my computer and fails to boot off of the DVD, landing me back at my grey old tiger desktop.

I have made a dmg of Leopard using disk utility and have an empty USB drive at my disposal, which again tiger fails to even attempt to boot off of when I restore the Leopard DVD onto it.

I hav a g4 titanium 500mhz laptop with a working DVD drive in, a firewire cable, but tiger doesnt wanna play (target mode). If I try and install Leopard using that one it helpfully reminds me that it is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

I have a big headache.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can make this combination of objects make me have a nice new version of Leopard on my aging G5 imac desktop?
    I can pay you in kind!

Love shoesy x x x

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So you tried Target Disk Mode and it didn't work? Have you checked apple.com to see if you meet the specs to run leopard?

Bless

3. Shoesy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

My G5 imac is wellwithin spec, but my g4 laptop isnt- hence no instally.

Gonna go borrow my girlfriends macbook and do it that way methinks, should end my Leopard hell.

Thanks for the reply tho... Shoesy x

4. Shoesy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

OK so I guess anyone paying attention would have immediately seen the downfall in my plan- the MacBook is refusing to install on my AFP formatted partition- it wants to reformat it to GUID.

Brilliant- stuck again.

Any help would be appreciated. Anyone?

Please?

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Buy an external HD that has firewire as an option (and use it) and copy all your data over to that drive. Reformat in GUID. Then install any OS you want to. Eventually migrate the info back but primarily reinstall most of the apps, it works better that way. Just move your data and files and such back. You can also use the Migration Assistant app in your utilities folder.

As for booting your DVD, are you holding down the C key when rebooting the iMac? (sometimes it is finicky and will only work if you do--you can also try refreshing everything by zapping your PRAM and resetting your Open Firmware--search for instructions on those)

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Why don't you use the G4 laptop and use that as the host machine for target mode install?