Leopard wont read NTFS disk (Vista)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmelgar, Feb 5, 2009.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I'm trying to copy from my Vista hard drive to my Mac hard drive. I'm getting rid of the Vista machine.

I took out the hard drive from the Vista and put it in an external enclosure that is USB attached to my Mac. The Mac is unable to read the drive.

I thought that leopard was able to read NTFS file systems?

It acts as if it doesn't even understand the partition table format on the drive.

Is there a simple way to get this to work? Does NTFS-3G help reading the partition table?

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is the hardware at least showing up in Disk Utility?

3. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

I don't think so. FAT32

I had to re-format an external hdd from NTFS to FAT 32 or MAC would't recognize it. Try FAT 32. I hated to do it, but it worked for me.

4. feuerschlange macrumors regular

OS X doesnt read and write NTFS natively. There are tools, you can read and write from/ to NTFS with OS X (MacFuse is one of them).

When I want to do something like this, I start up my Windows partition with VMWare Fusion and do this in Windows. Data between them are moved through a shared folder, that I created with VMWare Fusion.

This works the easiest for me now.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

OS X can read NTFS volumes just fine without additional software.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Correct.

If you have a large NTFS volume and you are connecting it to an older Mac, try waiting at least five minutes for it to mount, which I have seen before (doesn't make much sense unless the drive is damaged though).

Also, it might not be auto-mounting, which I have also seen before, so as mentioned above, head into Disk Utility and see if it's there to manually mount the volume.

7. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Sorry, forgot the quotation marks:

OS X doesnt "read and write" NTFS natively.

Because of the troubles, I had with some old external hdds (out of my old PCs), when switching to Mac, I used the method of doing this stuff in Windows or in Windows in VMWare Fusion in OS X.

I didnt had the patience, to fiddle with mounting, differnet partitions and stuff, I just wanted, to read my data and get rid of the obsolete stuff.

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I thought OS X would seemlessly mount NTFS as read-only if you plug in an external drive. As an alternative I'd boot up the Vista machine with the HD in it, share the C: drive, then in OS X Finder go to the "Go" menu > "Connect to Server" and access the Vista machine across the network using the Samba protocol: smb://{user_name}@{machine.ip}

where "user_name" is your Windows user name and "machine.ip" is the IP address of the Windows machine (and remove the "{}"s)

after all the files you need have been safely copied off the Windows HD, as you said you'll no longer use Windows, then I'd put the HD back in the enclosure and reformat it as HFS+ using Disk Utility.

9. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

I figured it out

I figured it out.

The problem was that there was a hard drive password set on the drive. I put it back in the PC it came from, unset the password. I was then able to access the drive no problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.