Leopard+XP+Data+Linux=What format(s) to use?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by muymoo, Jul 30, 2008.

1. muymoo macrumors newbie

I just bought a brand new hdd for my 1 year and 8 day old Macbook. No Applecare and a dead hard drive. The new one is a 320GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio. I am starting all over. All i have backed up was my music on an external. I now want to use bootcamp to run XP, Linux, and Leopard. I also want a partition for my music. I was wondering if there was a way to partition it so my music partition could be accessed (Read/Write) from all three systems. What type and size of partitions would you recommend for each.

XP:?
    Linux:?
    Leopard:?
    Data/music:?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

How much do you plan to use each OS? That will influence how to partition the drive. Also, keep in mind that Boot Camp doesn't support triple-boot with a data partition but it is possible to do - you'll have to make the initial Windows partition big enough for Windows, Linux, and the data partition, then split the Windows partition into three.

Primary OS: 75 GB
    Secondary OS: 50 GB
    Tertiary OS: 25 GB
    Data: 148.02 GB

If you're going to have lots of data, this layout makes sense - the data partition should be the largest.

3. muymoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but what format (FAT32, HFS+, NTFS, etc.) should I make each?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Mac OS X partition must be HFS Plus.
    The Windows partition must be NTFS due to being >32 GB in size.
    The Linux partition should be whatever the Linux installer suggests you use - probably ext2 or ext3.
    The data partition should be FAT32 - this is the most universal format.

5. muymoo thread starter macrumors newbie

6. pinktank macrumors 6502