Leopard's delay could be good for Apple!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tango554, May 7, 2007.

1. tango554 macrumors member

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, let me first say my reasoning is not "so the bugs can be worked out."

No, this is about either an ingenius marketing plan or an inadvertant opportunity. Apple is in prime position to make a knock-out gesture of customer appreciation, that would find its way into every news cycle, and possibly turn a few coveted switchers' heads. The best part? The cost isn't as much as one would think.

First thing's first, I assume that everyone waiting to upgrade to Leopard isn't so horribly fed up with their current version of OS that they are willing to boycott. Let's face it, we could be happier but we're not starving. Ok, so what's the point?

Apple delayed Leopard's release by about 4 months, to the grumbles and gripes of otherwise happy and satisfied customers. Inevitably, in these four months from june to delayed october, switchers and apple loyals alike will purchase x amount of Macs with Tiger. If when October rolls around and Leopard is released, Apple were to demonstrate their sincerest apologies to its fanbase for the "unacceptable" delay, by sending those mac buyers, a free upgrade copy of the new OS, it would truly be a story! Apple braggarts, news editors, bloggers and business writers around the globe would be talking about the bold gesture of customer appreciation!

The cost of this stunt would be a few thousand copies of Leopard and the opportunity cost of 4 months of Leopard upgrades. The actual cost of the former is negligible (the CDs themselves) and the latter would not be such a heavy financial hit, when you consider the company will still see a boost in sales when leopard is inevitably released; just delayed a quarter (remember, we're not starving). Further, the amount of FREE advertising apple would benefit from may help turn a greater overall profit by convincing just few more PC users to convert because Apple is truly superior in an area everyone can appreciate: customer service.

Whether someone high up in Apple's Marketing department is a risk-taking genius and could convince Mr. Jobs this may actually work, or the delay genuine; Apple is faced with a gargantuan opportunity. Let's hope they take it.

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

WHY? Glen Fergusson.

I do not understand your logic. They are guaranteed to get massive media exposer anyway.

And this Funny link woohoo. :p

Look at how much media attention they get when releasing new products. iPhone, iPods.

3. tango554 thread starter macrumors member

Uh, no duh, but the exposuRE would be positive, not "its about damn time."

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Youo know the Glen Fergusson story is fake, right?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

To be honest, I'm expecting them to do this anyway: All Macs sold after WWDC would come with a coupon for a free upgrade to Leopard. Why do I think this? Because they've done it before.

6. furious macrumors 65816

furious

When do they not get massive positive media exposure? :p

7. furious macrumors 65816

furious

No I did not. I think I am going to cry now. Thanks for ruining my life. :p ;)

8. bartelby macrumors Core

It's just I know a couple of people who argue that it's true:rolleyes: :)

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

have they done it for four months?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure. Wow, you're right... it really is four months! :eek:

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It is possible that anything that is announced at WWDC won't be released until Leopard comes out siting that they need all the factory space to make iPhones.:rolleyes:

12. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

ahh- and here I was thinking there was gonna be an iPhone shortage. :rolleyes:

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Hahaha, wow....very interesting...