Leopard's Dock: A HIG Mess

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wayfarer, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

2. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

wow talk about anal. who cares as long as it looks good? lol just my $0.02

3. Wayfarer thread starter macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

yeah, coming from someone who quickly replied and didn't even bother to read the article... :rolleyes:

but whatever floats your boat.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The issue is that Apple has a set of guidelines which it expects developers and icon artists to adhere to in order to make the OS as consistent as possible, and as a result people have spent a lot of effort making sure that their icons fit in correctly. When Apple ignores their own guidelines and makes this effort a waste of time it's naturally frustrating for people.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I always thought something wasn't quite right about the new dock whenever I looked at it. Now I know what it is. The multiple shadows are especially goofy.

6. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

I thought 7 mins was enough to read the article :)

And I also thought the analysis was a little anal-retentive, especially since we are talking about a beta and the guidelines are on Apple's site (so I'm sure they will be obeyed or changed eventually).

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I like the new dock. What the article said won't bother me at all. As an extra option, maybe Apple should add a mini Cover Flow to Dock. It will be just like Cover Flow but smaller and dock size. It will behave like the dock and you could give applications to it and remove applications as well resize the Cover Flow dock.

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm not in love with the new Dock anyway, but that article definitely points out some interesting things. I don't know that those were things I had noticed (or even would have noticed), but the author makes good points, and I hope Apple fixes it.

9. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

I knew Apple was getting a little too creative. :mad:

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The point of the guidelines is for the dock to look nice, right?

Most people have not noticed this, and think that the dock still looks nice, right?

I see no problem...

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the most annoying shadow is the one overhead. distracting.

12. 1020 macrumors regular

This sums up the new dock quite nicely.

13. Pomares macrumors member

Remember only beta!

I will assume that it will be corrected in the gold standard. To quote macscoop from their comments on the Leopard development roadmap:

The issue is not new.

14. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

15. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

nit-pickin about the shadows in a beta version. whatever floats your boat, i guess.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd say its an issue because Apple expects one thing from its developers but then turns around and does another. Apple are pretty strict in their guidelines for user experience. so why can't they seemingly follow their own rules?
    plus steve said that Leopard was going to eliminate the inconsistencies that have been popping up.

17. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

They're only breaking their rules if we assume they intended for the dock "base" to be a rectangle. If they intended it to be a trapezoid, it's all good :p ;)

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

19. kolax macrumors G3

Haha. That article just shows how pathetic some people are.

I can't even understand what the article is trying to prove (they say a good article is one you can skim through and grasp the point it is making), so looks like the writer is breaking guidelines.

Seriously though, I can't see what the fuss is. The Dock looks fine to me. I'm not going to bloody get a measuring tape out and notice that the angle is a few degrees out or whatever.

Or am I missing something big here..?

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well it makes sense that Apple should follow their own guidelines that they set for developers. I mean, if they just ignore the standards, why should developers continue to follow them?

Anyhow, I think that the leopard dock is a nightmare and is going to need some serious reworking before release...those little blue lights are horribly ineffective for at-a-glance use of the dock.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Have you ever noticed how a Mac running Tiger or Leopard has maybe ... what... five or six different kinds of windows, or even more, depending on what you count? And yet, to the average consumer, it actually looks like a coherent whole, and seems more consistent than Windows XP does with essentially just one kind of window? Or how OS X looks cleaner and more refined than Linux in spite of the development of some very complicated Linux theme packages?

There's a paradox in look and feel. It's very natural and easy for the brain to process information that's consistent with the real world. Your visual cortex is designed to process the kinds of perspectives, textures, and features you see in the natural world. It's harder, in contrast, for your brain to process something that is not consistent with normal reality. The paradox is that it's easy to create something that isn't consistent with what your brain expects, but it's hard to maintain that consistency.

The HIG and related specifications are what allows for this.... OS X is visually gorgeous now, without Leopard. But it's gorgeous because, even with all the different themes and looks, a consistent philosophy of the interface and the way it will be perceived by human users is maintained.

So I think this is important. Not in the sense that users need to make a decision about it, but in the sense that OS X can easily become increasingly less refined and uglier over time, if the consistency that makes sure you don't even notice anything might be out of place, is lost.

22. kolax macrumors G3

^ Interesting.

But I find the outline shadow gives the icon much more depth and makes it seem like it has more colour depth since it is against a black perimeter.

When I designed icons in photoshop, I'd give them an emboss effect because it lifted the icon off the ground and gave the colour more depth (although it is really just an illusion).

That's what I feel the new Dock gives. I like it.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

imo aslong as it does everythng better than the previous dock, im happy. all the looks are just a bonus!!!!

24. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I thought that the new dock looked wrong somehow. I didn't know what was wrong with it, but it just didn't seem as natural as the old one. Maybe it is the shadows from every angle that make it look weird to me. Whatever it is, I hope it looks better in October.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hehe maybe its TOO real now?? yea sometimes over the top isnt always good :(