Leopard's Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aperture, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I was just bored and was looking at the Leopard videos over at Apple.com. I was watching the new finder one and I can't help but think - why coverflow? I think it is kinda pointless just to add it, especially when it makes the finder window much larger. In the tutorials, it looks like a frigin iTunes window. IMO, it clutters the Finder and is unnecessary. Does anyone else agree with me in thinking adding coverflow is just eye candy, and doesn't add much functionality to the finder?

Me? I'd rather flip through documents in a list.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the real advantage to incorporating cover flow to the finder and making it look more like itunes is that it appeals to windows users, potential switchers who already know how to use itunes. it would make for an easier transition from windows, and it could possibly bring in droves of switchers. i don't think i'll ever use cover flow in the finder, but i'll give it a shot this october.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i totally agree with you that coverflow is unnecessary in the finder. I rarely use it in itunes. I wish they wouldnt have made the finder look so much like itunes too.. So much for a unifying UI.

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i use it all the time in iTunes...and it'll make quick look that much easier

personally i can't wait for it

but i'm more looking forward to 64-bit and core animation:)

6. pengu macrumors 6502a

ok, um. first off. how is USING THE SAME CONCEPT/appearance NOT a "unified" UI?

also. i can't believe how many people are complaining about CoverFlow view. you dont HAVE to use it. and for those of us who can accept new things, it will be a HUGE time saver when trying to find a specific document, without having to open 30 PDFs, 20 images and a dozen Pages documents. it has the potential (with 3rd party devs) to be a bigger thing for the Finder than it is for iTunes.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

It's cute, but I won't be using it. But I'm uberanal about naming files and storing them in folders. I've never even used Spotlight.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i see what you're saying, but i still don't think cover flow is for me. i usually know exactly what i'm looking for, and i have spotlight to help me launch files and apps. while it might not be the feature for me, i think it's good to have lots of ways for users to access, view and retrieve files. having it in there can't be a bad thing. could it?

9. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Coverflow is an added feature for people who can find some use for it. Obviously not everyone is going to see the use in it, but as it is simply another way to view files in the Finder and nothing permanently added to the default Finder window...I don't see what the problem is. I've already come across multiple occasions simple Coverflow's premiere when I thought it would be handy for quickly finding a file. If you don't think so then you're certainly permitted to feel that way, but I don't see why you think that is grounds to not include it as a new feature. Your complaint is akin to me saying that since I see no use for Finder's List view then it should be removed, since obviously my personal opinion is superior. That doesn't make since, now does it?

What's this nonsense about how unifying Leopard's user interface doesn't make for a unified UI? That statement is so contradictory that I'm not sure how you can even think it.

Coverflow adds usability to the Finder without unnecessary clutter or added complexity. For non-narrow minded users, it expands the Finder's ability to perform its prime purpose: help the user find files. Coverflow makes browsing through a folder crammed with poorly named pictures or a documents folder crammed with miscellaneous files of many different types for the veritable needle in a haystack quick and easy, and easily makes Coverflow a much more useful addition to the Finder than it was to iTunes.

10. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

I've been using Leopard and the new Finder with coverflow is actually very useful. Its awesome if you have a folder with a bunch of pictures in it and you quickly want to find the one picture in the set. Not only do you find it, but then you can press space bar and bam it pops up without loading preview. It's really very useful and I was very skeptical at first too. I never use coverflow in iTunes but I find myself using coverflow in Finder all the time. It really gains most of its functionality from quicklook because without quicklook its pretty pointless.

11. kolax macrumors G3

I think Cover Flow would be useful if you want to browse through your video/photo collection.

For anything else, I think I'd just use the default view and browse the files. But who knows...might get sucked in and start loving Cover Flow.

12. hopejr macrumors 6502

When I first saw it in iTunes, I thought it was cool, but dumb. I still don't use it in iTunes because I don't have any album art.

When I first saw it in Leopard's Finder, I thought the same way. Then, I realised that it would be excellent for browsing pictures and videos (as mentioned in a previous post). The little thumbnails in icon view or small previews in column view aren't big enough for me. Also, I like the idea of sorting by something other than name, which is the only sort you can do in column view. Just my thoughts about it.

13. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

I've been lucky enough to have used Leopard for a while and have found myself using coverflow more than I thought I would. It's really handy when you have multiple versions of a document with slight differences to be able to flick through the pages without opening the file. And previewing movies straight from finder with reflections is very pritty :)

The only irk I have with coverflow is that the scrolling with a scroll wheel or two finger touchpad is too sensitive.

14. kellah macrumors regular

I would imagine (and hope) that you can hide cover flow or switch to list view in Finder so you don't have to use cover flow if you so choose.

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you can. it's just an extra option on the finder toolbar's "view" icons.

16. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

wow...so many people not liking the new finder

are you all hoping to convince the rest of us to not use it, or are you just advertising that you're too good for apple?

17. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

New? Hahahahhahahaaha!!

Sorry, but Apple has done almost nothing but "paint-jobs" on the finder and tacking on little bits of functionality and calling it new... the finder is the most neglected piece of software apple has.

Ok, I'm done ranting...... :)

18. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Fukui, you say that as if you want Apple to completely revamp the Finder simply for the sake of change. If there's no need to adjust something to address some specific issue, complaint, or suggestion...why change it? Change for the sake of change is useless, and Apple doesn't need to fix what doesn't need fixing. Are you saying that you would prefer for Apple to be forced to come up with "new and innovative" (which I'm sure would be nothing of the sort) complete Finder revamps for no reason at all?

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I've been using Leopard for a while now.Legally.and I've found not only does the coverflow help but it has become my default view for almost anything I do.
    Having the Finder open at the same size as the desktop is no big deal thanks to Spaces.

When some of you that don't actually use it on a daily basis start using it when Leopard comes out you will see the difference.

20. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I actually really like the Leopard Finder. From Apple's perspective, it's more that the sidebar design in iTunes has proven to be very effective in organizing content and presenting it in a user-friendly manner. The fact that many are familiar with it is just an added bonus. Just my two cents.

21. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Well, I wrote a long comment about what I felt was lacking in leopard, but anyways I was auto logged out and lost my comment... anyways, basically, its not change for change's sake.

The transparent menu bar (which is barely usable), the tray-dock, even coverflow in the finder, the giant shadow under front windows, the darker grey 'windows' look, its all just to "make things look fresh." For no other reason than that.

I'm talking real advances in file browsing. Things like cut in addition to copy and paste....:rolleyes:

Maybe some tabs, a drop-stack, a way to link files to each-other by relation (eg. an image downloaded from an email from jon shows its relationship back to him)... cover flow is practically useless because it doesn't cache the previews of images, it has to reload each time the folder is opened, and with lots of images, I find myself waiting for all the previews to load... how is that supposed to speed up my file browsing?

There's lots other annoying little things.... everyone has been asking for apple to FTFF and leopard, again, isn't it...

That being said, the other features and conveniences in leopard make up for that.... but overtime I boot back into tiger, it feels immediately nicer and more clean (except for brushed metal windows that is)....

Anyways, this is just my opinion... if you guys like it a lot, great for you...