Leopard's folders vs. Vista's folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macbookprofan07, Nov 7, 2007.

1. macbookprofan07 macrumors newbie

In Vista, usually every folder (systemwide) - (when viewed as medium icons or bigger) would display the contents on its icon (Similar to Leopard's "stacks" on the dock or... in Microsofts words its called "Live Icon views of files and folders".)

In Leopard, the closest thing to it the stacks on the dock. thats it.

Why Apple is stuck with plain folders? (its a curiosity, not a rant)

2. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I have two guesses:

1) Because Windows did it.

2) Because it's ugly and distracting in the file browser (but not in Stacks).

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You don't think the folders in Leopard are ugly? I can't wait for Candybar 3 to come out. I don't like these new folders at all.

4. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

I hated them when I first saw them months and months ago, but now that I'm using Leopard I kinda like them. They're very much like a lot of icon sets you can use with CandyBar (which was one of my initial concerns). The OP's problem isn't the folder itself, but its lack of "live-ness" (to use a Vista term). Vista's folders are ugly too, and the fact that they're on their side and wide open worsens their aesthetic appeal. I think the Leopard folders would look okay-ish with pagelike icons stuck slightly out of the top to make them look like paper in a real folder, but custom icons (like apps) would look ugly. All I know is the old OS X folders were hurting for replacements.

5. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

My feelings of folders, which has been feedback'd to Apple during Panther, was that right now, ever folder I have (besides the primary ones) are identical clones. I can't even reasonably color them. So, looking at a field of folders, I still wind up reading each one, which, of course, seem un-Apply.

My suggestion was to look inside the folder and determine the primary content. All word docs? Put a word doc on the folder. All applications? A generic app icon. An equal mix of stuff? No icon at all.

In Leopard, the overlay can be that darkened relief form of the icon, if they want.

yes, Vista's are kind of silly, but they're quite visually useful.

6. Mr Lizard macrumors member

Mr Lizard

Folder Skimming?

Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in between being able to have a generic folder icon but also being able to quickly see it's contents.

The 'Skimming' idea in iLife '08 seems an attractive option to me. Being able to very quickly pass the mouse cursor over the folders and see whats in them might be an ideal compromise.

It would be interesting to see if this addition could be implemented with a 3rd party plug-in of some sort.

Thoughts?