Leopard's obnoxious volume eject dialog

Discussion in 'macOS' started by psychometry, Dec 11, 2007.

1. psychometry macrumors regular

This is so annoying:
    [​IMG]

I'm smart enough to know what I want to eject and what I don't want to eject. If I wanted to eject all of the volumes, I would've selected all of them before doing Cmd-E. Does anyone know how to turn off this extra step?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Also if you do select all of the partitions of drive and press cmd+e this dialog box still comes up. I also find it annoying.

3. psychometry thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, this level of pointless nagging is reminiscent of Windows user interface design. In 10.6 there will be an icon in the menu bar that will popup a yellow speech bubble telling me I have volumes mounted every 10 minutes.

4. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

in tiger it would just eject all no matter what, you couldn't decide which to keep. if you ejected one, you ejected all. with leopard you can get rid of one while keeping the other.

the one box doesn't bother me

5. psychometry thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the Tiger method isn't great either. I wish the OS would just leave the whole issue up to the user. If I want to eject one of two volumes, I'll select one and eject it. If I want both, I'll select both. The OS shouldn't presume you want it one way nor should it assume you messed up and didn't select the right number of volumes to eject.

6. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

I don't wish to appear churlish, but have you tried reading the dialog box that comes up?

It does tell you what to do if you don't want to see the message again. Seems like a fair method.

As for being as naggy as Windows, I challenge you to beat the Automatic Updates "Restart Later" option which keeps "asking" you if you would like to restart now, every 10 minutes.

Nothing I've encountered yet in my switch to OSX can beat that for annoying. At least not yet.

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The problem comes when you use the shortcut to eject the volume, which I do, because cmd+ctrl+e does nothing. So the dialog box may tell you how to avoid it but it the method they give doesn't actually work.

Also if you select all of the partitions before pressing eject the dialog box will still appear and if you press eject it it reappear for each partition on the volume.

8. psychometry thread starter macrumors regular

xUKHCx hit the nail on the head. I can't believe Apple let this bug get through to Leopard, even 10.5.1.