Leopard's 'Unified UI' isn't really that unified ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPodThere4iAm, Oct 31, 2007.

1. iPodThere4iAm macrumors newbie

Although I am yet to upgrade to Leopard, I have scoured the web for reviews, demos, comments, etc, and from what I have seen, the new Leopard UI is still somewhat confused. It still seems to be bit of a mish-mash of Tiger, Leopard, iPhone and various rebel apps.

For example, although Aqua has mostly disappeared from the UI, in the Finder and throughout the system we still get the Aqua 3D 'candy'-style scrollbars, losenge Save/Cancel/etc buttons, list criteria bars and other bits and bobs, even though iTunes has a more fitting metallic sytle.

Another obvious example is the button arrangement sported by Mail, and now Preview. This are the only two apps with the bubble type buttons, even though there are clearly more consistent ways for the app to appear.

More minor inconsistencies are apparent throughout - such as a confusion over which type of dialogue box is needed - either normal, or black with 'x' in top left corner; also whether a button should 'lozenge' shaped or more square with slightly rounded corners (like in the Time machine preferences); and whether a 'plus' button at the bottom of the window should be in an iTunes type silver set of buttons, or the aqua style column as seen in Mail; I could (probably) go on, and I'm sure everyone else who has looked closely at the UI has spotted (new start pages in iWork anyone?)

I'm not saying I don't like the Leopard interface, in fact it seems to be major step on from Tiger. I just think that if Apple are going to highlight a unified interface as a major new feature, then it should be presented in a consistent and thorough way.

Does anyone else share this view, or am I just looking a bit too closely?

2. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Nah, you're not looking too closely. It's already been pointed out in a few reviews. Some of the buttons/icons have that glass/bubble (reminds me of Vista) look, while the other half has the square with rounded corner look. Not sure why they didn't just stick with one look. *shrug*

3. oceanmonster macrumors regular

I think that the UI is in a bit of a transitional state right now. I think that apple simply ran out of time to implement a complete itunes UI theme to leopard. I'd put some money on the table that apple will refine the UI more and more over the 10.5.x updates.

4. Eluzion macrumors 6502

One can hope. ;) Either that or we will see it in 10.6 as one of the several hundred new features.

"Reunified User Interface!"

5. MBX macrumors 65816

i agree and i hate the aqua elements that still didn't disappear in leopard.

i wish all buttons would be more in the style of the buttons/ slider in timemachine settings pane and quicklook's dark transparent style.

6. NicP macrumors 6502

I agree completely, the other thing that annoys me is that different applications do different things when they are not the active window. For example when safari is not the active window I can click on the buttons, but I can't click on web links. When itunes is not the active window the buttons are grayed out and don't do anything. When mail is not the active window, I can click the buttons, but not anything in the sidebar. And so on.

In my view i think the behavior should be if its visible, it can be clicked. But more importantly i think the behavior should be consistent.