Lepoard, Hard Drive Space needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TubbyCow, Jun 20, 2007.

1. TubbyCow macrumors member

I'm new to macs and not sure if this question has already been asked as i can't seem to find it. If upgrading to lepoard when it is released, how much space will it take on the hard drive. I assume since it has more features it would require more space? Is this a correct assumption? IF you leave everything the same how much space would you lose simply upgrading from tiger to lepoard?

2. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

The space required for a base install of Leopard is comparable to that of a base install of Tiger. I say "comparable" because I don't have the exact numbers in front of me and don't want to boot off my install CDs to find out just how much of a difference there is in size, but an upgrade install is not going to take up much of your free space if any.

This isn't Microsoft software where, for some reason, new features require gigs and gigs of useless files. I guess it makes MS feel like Vista is worth something, but I digress.

Short of checking directly and comparing the sizes, I'm betting you won't notice any more of your free space is gone when you upgrade to Leopard. Unless you've got a tiny drive. I'd say a gig to 1.5GB at very most, and that's if you're doing a complete install with the language packs and everything.