Less 3G signal more often...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsquared, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Just recently (this week) I feel like everytime I look at my phone I'm on the Edge network in places where I'm used to having 3G. Sometimes I'll go to Settings to turn off 3G and turn it back on and I'll get near or full 3G signal but it only lasts for a minute.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I live near Nashville,TN if it matters. And I'm used to having full bars of 3G since I've had my phone on release date up to earlier this week. Just thought this was kinda strange.

2. Cubsfan macrumors member

I've seen this ever since 2.1. On a walk to the park with my dog (literally a few hundred yards) I'll go from 4 bars 3g, directly to 5 bars edge, and then back to 2-4 bars 3g. Seems like since 2.1 it's far more likely to drop down into edge than before. Very irritating for me, since before 2.1 it worked just fine with 3g all the way. So I guess what I'm saying is that 3G reception actually seems far worse since 2.1. I talked to an Apple support guy who said he was going to report it to the engineers and get back to me, but of course he never got back to me.

3. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

This is getting kind of old. I was hoping it was a temporary type deal where maybe the network was down for a day. But it's been almost a week and 3G is nowhere to be found. Even when I go to settings and turn it off and back on it will go to "NO SERVICE" for several minutes before reverting back to EDGE.

Nobody else is seeing this??

I'm thinking about going to the AT&T store and if their demos have service and I don't asking for a replacement or an answer. I got the 3G because how much faster the data downloads are I would have jsut kept my 1st gen if I would have known 3G was going to quit on me.....

4. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Have you tried calling AT&T and describing the problem? When it happened to me after installing 2.1, I did. They "reprovisioned" my iPhone in their system, and the problems with 3G pretty well cleared up.

5. mattocs macrumors member

I just did a ATT tech support chat about this. They told me to reset my network settings, and that 3G is always selected over Edge when both are available.

I work in an area where I can get full 3G signal and full Edge. 99% of the time I am on Edge. If I restart my phone or turn it on airplane mode, I can sometimes get that 3G signal. It usually takes a few hours of doing that. Before my iPhone I had a Nokia N75. While at work, I could always get the 3G signal on that phone.

I might go to the ATT store and get a new iPhone. I have only had this one for less than a week.

6. jsquared thread starter macrumors 6502

jsquared

I'm going to try this after work.

How do you reset the network settings?
    Do you think the AT&T store will replace it? Or do you think you'll have to go to the Apple store?

7. mattocs macrumors member

Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. Not sure if it did anything, I don't get 3G at home, and I don't have to be to work where I get 3G until Sunday night.

And I have only had my iPhone for 6 days, so the ATT store will exchange it. If not, I can get my money back, and just buy another one. I have 14 days to do this. Maybe 30. I am not sure.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Total opposite for me in the Ann Arbor, MI area. There is much more 3G in the surrounding areas of the city than there was a week ago. Big big improvement in service around here! :)