Less Apps=Faster iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ercanbas, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ercanbas macrumors regular

I don't know if it just my phone but I had some issues with lag and what not. One day I decided to clean out some old apps and I noticed after that my iphone was faster than usual. I decided to really go through my apps and slimmed it down to just 5 and now my phone is running very smooth. Anyone else experience this?

2. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I'm not sure, I would think it does, But I have 9 pages of apps (Yes, almost 140) And I really didn't use em all, now I got it to 4 pages, and it runs the same it did without apps. But I'm not surprised deleted 3rd party apps speeds it up.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It doesn't matter how many apps you have on your iPhone, but if you restart your iPhone you'll probably see better performance.

4. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

I really doubt that the amount of applications has any affect on performance, at least from what I've seen. [​IMG]

5. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well, I guess that basically... If there are more files on the Phone it's going to take longer to find what it wants, therefore resulting in lag? Maybe... :eek:

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I tend to believe that the many apps that I have on my iPhone has nothing to do with making my iPhone faster or slower. Not even sure 3rd party apps cause lag, b/c I'm not sure how to measure the apps loading and lag other than guessing...

7. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I tried this and actually I'm getting just the opposite. My phone lags so much now it sometimes takes upwards of five seconds for the screen to come on after hitting the sleep/wake. Almost threw it through a wall earlier it was so bad.

8. ercanbas thread starter macrumors regular

Try shutting down or a hard reset although I doubt I need to inform you haha.

9. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Well, Ercan, we meet again. You have to be the same guy that was very unhappy with my critique of "Cloverfield."

Small world.

Anyway, yeah, I did all that, it's just frustrating because ever since right around the one-year mark (When AppleCare goes away), I've been having all sorts of problems. Sucks.

10. Theirishjoey macrumors member

I think it might also make it buggier as well.

When I restored my iPhone because safari had been so buggy it was absolutely fine. Fluke? Maybe.

But as soon as I filled it up all 9 pages with applications it was buggy again!

Meh.

Joey

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

More Applications Open = More Ram Used = More Issues & General Slowness

Solution = Close your Apps = Restart your Phone

Silly that you can't close them otherwise, but I think Apple was targeting the small "widget" apps that should open quickly style of use.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The more Apps you have, the more RAM SpringBoard will use... thus slowing down the system. Even though those icons aren't running, they're making the SpringBoard heavier and leaving you with less RAM for running apps.

Download iStat.

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I don't know what you're talking about... Apps don't run in the background. You can only have one app "open" at a time. Although, I think that some of the webpage information from Safari is cashed to ram when you close it. You can save some space by forcing it closed, holding the homebutton down when it's running, or by opening a blank tab and closing all the others before exiting.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just make a new page, and close the other page. No need to force quit.

16. ercanbas thread starter macrumors regular

You are automatically a new friend and cool guy to me now that I know you are on MR.

17. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

It's really simple

The more apps the more on board memory the device uses, period

So YES, the more apps the more lag you will have.

18. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That's a bunch of crap. I have all but two of my spaces filled up and I don't have a lag at all. Now if the apps ran in the background, that'd be another story, too bad Apple doesn't offer that yet.

19. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ram and storage memory are in two seperate locations. So: FAIL.

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I said that. Just gave an alternative as well.

21. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

i have 8 pages of apps and it doesnt seem any slower than when i first got my iphone?, just my view....