Less clearance between screen and keyboard in rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kraznoff, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Kraznoff macrumors member

I bought the marware keyboard cover they sell at the apple store because they didn't have iskin or moshi. The issue I'm having is that this keyboard cover sticks to the screen! When I open my rMBP I have to peel the keyboard cover off of the screen. I'm wondering if there is less clearance between the keyboard and screen that is causing it to stick or if it's just this cover. Is there a better keyboard cover for the rMPB?

2. eron macrumors 6502

The keys of the rMBP have less travel. Which explains why the current KB protectors are too large for them.

I've tried using keyboard protectors, and they hinder typing, and lessens the cooling ability of the macbook. So I would suggest you save the money.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I suggest moshi. They confirmed on their Facebook page it's fully compatible with the rMBP.

----------

The "cooling capability" is completely false. I don't where this rumor started. There is no type of vent through the keyboard. It completely covered underneath.

4. bryne macrumors member

bryne

A few posters here have tried Moshi's keyboard cover and found it not to be compatible. Since 3rd party vendors are not given early access to hardware and the modified keyboard wasn't anticipated, I doubt you'll see new keyboard covers for the rMBP for at least a couple months.

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Can you link me to those post or threads?

6. eron macrumors 6502

You see those aluminium areas in between keys? Those areas help to cool down the laptop as well. The whole laptop is a heat sink. Anything that covers any aluminium surface will reduce its cooling ability, be it a bit.

7. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

It won't make a difference. People have been using keyboard covers for quite sometime with NO heat issues. I'd rather have a keyboard cover that prevents ugly greasy keys and accidental spills than have nothing at all.

8. bryne macrumors member

bryne

9. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

10. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I was going to ask "why do people bother with keyboard protectors in the first place", but you answered that for me.

Still not sure I'm sold on them, but then again, I'm the same sort of guy that refuses to put a screen protector on my phone because it marginally diminishes the tactile and visual experience.

The only serious issue I see them really addressing is spilling drinks. I'd just suggest you don't do that. ;-) Otherwise, oil, grease, grime, dust, crumbs... that stuff is all easy enough to take care of every once in a while without a cover.

Not trolling or trying to tell you that you're wrong. This is just a new concept to me and I'm discussing my initial thoughts on it.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You are quite right. A fact most people either don't know, or ignore.

Yet sadly, Apple only cares that it's styling is beautiful. Thermal management is not a priority. It's easier for Apple to simply increase the acceptable temps in their specs, than to design a cool running laptop.

It's always been that way. Not only that, now that they're sealed like an appliance, you just throw it away. Which goes to the next problem that Apple fibs about... "We're a Green Company". Yeah right, that claim was pulled from their advertising, right before the MBPr or whatever the heck we're supposed to call this overpriced retina machine.

I don't expect perfection from Apple, but less hypocrisy would certainly make them more respected from those who pay attention to their BS. If you care about environmental concerns, & the impact it will have on your kids, Apple looks pretty guilty. As such, stop spreading the muck & just shut up about it.

12. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Well obviously I wouldn't spill lol. I'm a very careful person but since this will be my first laptop, I'm not taking any chances :D. I'm only against slapping an ugly thick silicon keyboard cover on it. The one I mentioned is 0.1mm thick and very clear. Greasy keys are inevitable unfortunately. Every keyboard I've owned, every keyboard on a macbook pro I've seen has the shiny greasy keys. It looks bad to me lol. When I sell my laptop in the future I know a buyer will truly appreciate completely clean and new looking keys.

13. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry have you even seen how the retina macbook pro cools itself? If apple didn't give a crap about keeping it cool do you think they would implement those intake vents on the side of the rMBP and have more fan blades?

I don't know what website you're looking at.
    http://www.apple.com/why-mac/better-hardware/
    http://www.apple.com/environment/

And obviously yes the rMBP is sealed for the most part, but they do offer the regular macbook pro as an option.

14. eron macrumors 6502

I didn't say there's a heat issue. I said it will reduce the cooling ability. It could be a couple of degrees or more, or it could be less than 1.

You could cover the whole laptop with a layer of wrapsol/invisibleshield, and there probably won't be heat issues, but certainly the temperature will be higher.