Less displayed on screen due to large fonts and spacing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jasimon9, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jasimon9 macrumors regular

As a newbie from the windows world, one thing I miss is that the font size used on the mac is larger, resulting in more scrolling.

For example, in an Outlook folder list, I am able to see as many 60 folders at a time. In Mail, it is typical half that, because of larger font plus spacing.

In the font settings for Mail, you can reduce the font size. But below a certain value, the font simply gets smaller, but the line spacing stays the same, so the desired effect of having more lines visible is not achieved.

My 24 inch screen is already set to max res.

Any suggestions?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

How about a screenshot?

Just curious, what size font are you trying to use in Mail?

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Also, go into System Preferences, then Appearance. Check the setting at the bottom, fiddle with that and see if it makes any difference.

Attached Files:

4. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Mailbox font is Lucida Grande 11.

In the screen shot, I have placed the folders section of Outlook side-by-side with Mail. The are about 20% more items in the Outook side (41 in Outlook; 33 in Mail).

Attached Files:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So change the size and font if you want more. It's cake!

6. jasimon9 thread starter macrumors regular

Tallest Skil: I enjoyed reading all your posts while I was a lurker during the time period before the recent iMac release. I finally ended up getting a 24" iMac 2.8 reburb.

As stated in my original post, while you can make the fonts smaller, the lines do not change to a lower height, because the size of the folder icons has a lower limit. That lower limit is what is shown in the screen shot.