Less Expensive 16GB RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Davidish, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Davidish macrumors member

Is it just me or has the 16GB (8GB x 2) RAM for MacBook Pros gotten really expensive? They all seem to be ~$150+ on Newegg now.

I'm looking to upgrade my late 2011 MacBook Pro from 4GB to 16GB. Does anyone know where I can find 16GB for a bit cheaper or maybe a better time to be buying?

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

It's all going to be pretty expensive, as 8GB SO-DIMMS are expensive.

3. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Should of bought around 2011 when the prices of 16GB ram were $45-70 in price. :cool:

4. bakechad macrumors member

I normally buy memory from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.

Good prices and great service. I've had really good luck with them on computer stuff, photography stuff, electronics, etc.

5. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

6. dukee101 macrumors member

dukee101

It's because of a fire at the Hynix memory chip plant and a shutdown of a TSMC factory as well. It's a temporary supply shock that's caused prices to spike 30-40% in the past few months. Expect to see normalization in the coming 3-4 months. It's a strange situation to see commoditized computer components go up in price but it happens time to time. Last time I saw something like this was when hard drive factories in Thailand and Vietnam got taken offline because of a huge typhoon a few years back. HDD prices shot up for a good 6 months but then normalized again. Shoulda bought RAM futures man ;)

7. MacLC macrumors 6502

Indeed, that fire was bad for prices for consumers, though thankfully the plant only made DRAM, not memory for SD cards or SSDs.

I haven't upgraded RAM in over 6 years but I always used to go to www.ramseeker.com for a first check. They compare RAM prices from different vendors.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Wow, the Corsair Vengeance kit has almost doubled in price since I bought mine last summer (2012)..

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's because two companies control over 60% of the market and they could make more money from that position.

http://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/3481.html