• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Davidish

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Is it just me or has the 16GB (8GB x 2) RAM for MacBook Pros gotten really expensive? They all seem to be ~$150+ on Newegg now.

I'm looking to upgrade my late 2011 MacBook Pro from 4GB to 16GB. Does anyone know where I can find 16GB for a bit cheaper or maybe a better time to be buying?

dukee101

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
It's because of a fire at the Hynix memory chip plant and a shutdown of a TSMC factory as well. It's a temporary supply shock that's caused prices to spike 30-40% in the past few months. Expect to see normalization in the coming 3-4 months. It's a strange situation to see commoditized computer components go up in price but it happens time to time. Last time I saw something like this was when hard drive factories in Thailand and Vietnam got taken offline because of a huge typhoon a few years back. HDD prices shot up for a good 6 months but then normalized again. Shoulda bought RAM futures man ;)

Comment

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
It's because of a fire at the Hynix memory chip plant and a shutdown of a TSMC factory as well. It's a temporary supply shock that's caused prices to spike 30-40% in the past few months. Expect to see normalization in the coming 3-4 months. It's a strange situation to see commoditized computer components go up in price but it happens time to time. Last time I saw something like this was when hard drive factories in Thailand and Vietnam got taken offline because of a huge typhoon a few years back. HDD prices shot up for a good 6 months but then normalized again. Shoulda bought RAM futures man ;)

Indeed, that fire was bad for prices for consumers, though thankfully the plant only made DRAM, not memory for SD cards or SSDs.

I haven't upgraded RAM in over 6 years but I always used to go to http://www.ramseeker.com for a first check. They compare RAM prices from different vendors.

Comment

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Wow, the Corsair Vengeance kit has almost doubled in price since I bought mine last summer (2012)..

Comment

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England

It's because two companies control over 60% of the market and they could make more money from that position.

http://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/3481.html

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.