Less Free Space on iPhone 4 than 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NightFox, Jun 24, 2010.

1. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

I've just synced my 32GB iPhone 4 and noticed I've got about 3GB less space free than on my 32GB 3GS.

After a bit of head scratching, I've come up with the theory that perhaps iTunes downscales synced video and images to a larger size with the 4 than the 3GS due to the increased screen resolution.

Anyone know if I'm right?

2. Excluse macrumors member

Its because of iOS4 I believe. It's a really big OS and thus takes up more space.

*EDIT: Unless you also have iOS4 on your 3GS then I stand corrected.

3. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

I do!

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Glad to see you got it today and not tomorrow as Apple said :D
    Compared to my iPhone 3G 16GB, I have 14GB of Space on iPhone 4 compared to 14.2GB? (I believe or was it 14.8) on iPhone 3G.

Possibly due to the fact there are added software like HD Video, Camera is better? Retina apps and better fonts = More Room?

5. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

It may be your photos. Since the new iPhone has a higher res screen, photos are not downsized as much when synced to the phone so they should be taking up more space. 3GB is a lot so you'd have to have a lot of photos to make up that much of a difference so are probably other unknown reasons as well.

6. DarthBradicus macrumors member

I would bet that this is the reason. On my 3GS, I had at least 3-4 GB free. I ran out of space to sync my photos on my iPhone 4 and had to remove some music and videos. I sync my whole iPhoto Library (over 9,000 photos, so it ate up a lot more space.

7. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

Done a bit of playing around and it is just the photos. Re-connected my 3GS up and photos are taking up 2.18GB, on the "Fantastic 4" it's 4.31GB.

Video is the same size between both phones, so no different downscaling. I even tried un-syncing and re-syncing the videos just to be sure it wouldn't resample them.

8. NightFox thread starter macrumors 68000

NightFox

Thanks! Got yours yet?