Less Ram = more battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by divane, Sep 12, 2012.

1. divane macrumors newbie

Hey there!

I have an Macbook 13" Aluminium ultimo 2008 with 8 gbs of ram. :apple:

I want the battery to last as lons as possible of course and since i do not really need 8 gb of ram i thought maybe it would save some power if I removed 4 gb?
    Would that help in any way?

Thanks for the replies!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You won't see any meaningful difference in battery life by removing RAM, and you could worsen battery life. How much RAM you have installed doesn't significantly impact battery life. However, having too little RAM can cause paging activity to the drive, which will negatively impact battery life.

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I'd keep the ram in it.

Something you could to to increase battery life is switching to an SSD. No moving parts = less energy spent. You'd also get a nice performance boost.

You should also check the health of the batter, what applications you have running, etc..