Less than ideal thermal paste job?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgartner0622, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mgartner0622, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

So, I was taking apart a 15" 2.0Ghz i7 MacBook Pro that has suffered water damage, and found that the CPU/Graphics Card has what appears to be a less than ideal thermal paste application...or maybe it is just me.
    I realize this is a documented issue, but I have not heard anything about it lately. It appears this laptop has quite a bit of excess.
    Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow, that's a coating :D I can't believe this is actually still an issue, I remember considering redoing mine back in 2007 when it seemed there was a big furore about it.

Still, I never did it, and my MBP is still alive, so perhaps, realistically, it's not too much of a factor unless you're studying temperatures in detail.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Yes indeed, this remains a problem. But the good news is I'm getting really good at the job, if I say so myself :)

4. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Thats how both my MacBook and MBP Were (07' and 08'). Pretty lame job. I Reapplied it myself and get at least 5 degrees lower.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It will always be a bit of an issue.
    You put enough TP on and it will work. You don't and it will fry.
    Just for ease and convenience in assembly they will overdo it before they use too little.
    If you do it yourself you will do a better job.
    And if your NB is hot it might help not so much with temperatures but with noise. The fans manage the temps and if the cooling doesn't work as well they will just turn faster. Better applied TP gets you a less noisy notebook it should change anything significant in terms of heat for anything but systems with overclocked GPUs.