Less than satisfactory Apple Retail Store experiences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaredm1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jaredm1 macrumors member

So I decided I'd rather pick up a 15" high-res i7 MBP at the apple retail store. I phoned Regent St, White City (Westfield) and Brent Cross stores.

Regent St. said they didn't have any in stock, fair enough. Both White City or Brent Cross said they had stock (I got them to double check it was the 'high-res' version) but neither would hold one for me (they were told they weren't allowed to at the moment??)

So I drive 30 miles and neither store actually has any stock (nor did they claim to have had any at the beginning of the day). It seems the staff who answer the phones don't know that 'high-res' is a variant. What a waste.

2. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Same thing here in New York. When I called to ask they didn't even know the 15" MacBook Pro came with a High Res screen. When I asked to reserve they refused which is understandable but an employee who works there not knowing their line of products isn't.
    Also customer service varies from store to store. The Upper West Side store here in NYC has the WORST customer service people working for them and the SoHo store is a pleasure to go to, very nice and attentive staff.
    Try another store.

3. joelcsf macrumors member

Exactly the same thing in San Francisco at the store on Stockton.

Called on Thursday evening, was told they had 15" i7 antiglare in stock.

Showed up Friday at lunch, was told they had none - and that, in fact, when they did get the i7, it would be glossy only.

Back at the office c. 3pm, a guy walks in with a 15" i7 antiglare - that he picked up at the Stockton St store?!

I called back and was told they did have them - and had them in since yesterday... So I schlep down after work and ask to pick one up. The guy says they don't have any.

Fuming at this point - I show the dude a post off of MR, told the guy a colleague had picked one up, told the guy I'd spoken to the stockroom chap downstairs 10 minutes prior... He went downstairs and came up with one in hand.

Overall - pretty stressful. Staff clearly had no idea.

4. jaredm1 thread starter macrumors member

I'm actually surprised that mine was not an isolated incident. Sure, I've had my fair share of BS from techies (inc. Apple store techies) but on the whole I've found that Apple store workers knew their product portfolio pretty well. I think some of their recent product training needs to be reviewed.

5. Z1NX macrumors member

I've been calling all London stores too, but one of them (Regent St I think) said they only sell the hi-res online.

Being an Apple fanboy in the UK is such a pain - I heard some American stores have them there. Sulks.