Lesson Learned: Canadians, Don't Buy Wireless Products from Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by webitorgal, Oct 26, 2011.

1. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

My husband ordered an iPhone 4S online as he was unable to order it through the carrier since his current phone was with another company and intended to switch. In Canada, you do not get to choose a carrier when you purchase a wireless device from the online store, though actual Apple stores can help you set up with a company. Before placing the order from Apple, he spoke with the new carrier and they said he would be credited after the phone is delivered. The phone arrived today. He went to the carrier to get the phone activated, but was told that he would not receive any credit, since he bought the phone from Apple. Apple can't do anything about it either. Worse, he was told that if he wanted to return the phone, he would have to ship it back himself. Apple stores won't take it.

Why can't you choose a carrier online in Canada? Who wants to spend like $800? Needless to say, he's pretty pissed. He's now deciding whether to ship it back and buy another one from the carrier.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sounds like his beef is with the carrier, not Apple. Apple only sells the unlocked phone on their Canadian website.

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

Your husbands iphone is unlocked he can choose any carrier he likes, once he goes with that carrier he may be locked into their network though.

Attached Files:

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Agreed. Maybe he should try another carrier?

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

First of all as already mentioned the online Apple store in Canada just like here in the UK only sells unlocked iPhones. If you wanted to get a subsidised one on a contract then you need to go through an Apple store or order directly from the carrier of your choice.

Secondly regards returning I don't know why you're so surprised by Apple's return policy. That is normal for Apple and a number of other retailers too. Not all retailers allow you to return online orders to their bricks and mortar stores. That said Apple has just announced they will start allowing customers to return online orders to their bricks and mortar stores although initially it will only be certain stores.

6. nigameash macrumors 6502

The iphones on apple's website clearly state that they are unlocked and hence the price tag. I think you should call up customer care and talk to them about your dilemma.

7. profets macrumors 68040

Nice thread title... maybe it should be:

Lesson Learned: Spend 2 minutes to read and understand when you are making an $800 purchase online.

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

we got an iPhone 4 from apple and nothing went wrong. Paid the 99$ and done

9. kimyr0501 macrumors newbie

Understand that u r frustrated but looks like it aint the apple's problem.

Most of us spent 800 for the unlocked phone.
    It is obvious that ur carrier wont credit for the phone they did not sell.

10. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I only paid $649+tax for my preordered 4S. Rogers sucks so I went unlocked and took my business elsewhere. I pay almost half what I used to pay Rogers, now with no contract.

This: he spoke with the new carrier and they said he would be credited after the phone is delivered was either a misunderstanding or an idiot in customer service for the carrier. That has never been true.

11. kimyr0501 macrumors newbie

Im still with rogers on 6gb data plan and monthly pays around 70. :(
    Do u mind telling us which company and which plan ur using??

12. webitorgal thread starter macrumors regular

webitorgal

The question is this: Why can't you choose a carrier online (like the US) when you can at the Apple store?

13. profets macrumors 68040

Because at the apple store they have access to the carrier's internal sales systems to process upgrades and new activations.

Do any of the carriers let you use their websites to purchase and activate a new iPhone with a new plan? Why not go that route if that's what you want?

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

The markets are different. In the US traditionally you can't buy unlocked iPhones. The iPhone 4 was available several months into its life cycle. The unlocked iPhone 4S will be available there sometime next month. In Canada, Europe etc. they have been available unlocked from launch for both the 4 and 4S.

In the US for iPhones to be sold online they have to be sold on contracts subsidised and there has to be a way to activate them which I believe is through iTunes. For whatever reason outside the US online sales are for unlocked phones only.

If you want a subsidised one you either have to buy directly from the carrier or from an Apple store. As already mentioned the ones sold on Apple's web site in Canada, Europe, etc. are clearly marked as unlocked and sim free.

15. Hutch1, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Return the phone to apple for a refund. Who told you you can't return it to an Apple store?

I bought mine online from Apple in Canada because I didn't want a phone not locked to Rogers or anyone else for three years. If I wanted it locked to Rogers or Bell I would have bought it from them.

So the title of your thread doesn't tell the whole truth because most that bought them online from Apple were well aware what they were getting.

His beef is with the carrier that told him that, if they actually told him that.

So send/ take it back to Apple and go buy a locked phone. Maybe you should do it for him.

16. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Apple doesn't have the agreements with the carriers in every country to handle the subsidized phone sale contract. In fact the US might be the ONLY country where they do it, I took a look at UK, FR, DE, AU, CA, and HK - all only sell the unlocked phone.

Why? Couldn't say. Might be simply not enough volume to justify it for every carrier in these countries, or uncooperative carrier, or technical problems with data interface, or regulatory issues, or they just haven't gotten around to it.

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The US is the only country that Apple has access to the carriers' systems from their website.

I'm sorry, but if your husband knew that he had to buy it at full cost...why would he go with the order? If there weren't any options to select a carrier, then it's his fault for ordering it.

And as a second point, never trust a carrier when they say they will credit the cost of a phone bought from somewhere else. It doesn't matter which carrier it is, it's pretty much common sense that it won't work that way.