Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrickRS

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
What hasn't been clear to me in all this is whether there is actually a problem with dropped calls because of it? So the bars go down, big whup. Can you still make calls? If not, then it's a big deal. If you can, not so much.

corduroy73

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
What hasn't been clear to me in all this is whether there is actually a problem with dropped calls because of it? So the bars go down, big whup. Can you still make calls? If not, then it's a big deal. If you can, not so much.

Yes, people have dropped calls, this is on the front page of this website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE&feature=player_embedded

Also remember this is a smartphone, it needs to be able to make calls AND receive data. In an experiment I did yesterday, I could not get calls to drop (I have in the past) but my data speeds were terrible.

Bumpers off, in hand:

Bumpers on, in hand:

Normal data rates, on desk

CDutch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
Yes, people have dropped calls, this is on the front page of this website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE&feature=player_embedded

Also remember this is a smartphone, it needs to be able to make calls AND receive data. In an experiment I did yesterday, I could not get calls to drop (I have in the past) but my data speeds were terrible.

Bumpers off, in hand:

Bumpers on, in hand:

Normal data rates, on desk

This about sums it up for me. The bumper improves call reliability but data speeds decline drastically when I hold the phone with my left hand even with the bumper on the phone.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Cases seem to mitigate the problem, but not solve it. For me it at least makes it a useable for voice calls, but YMMV.

willcodejavafor

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
To be fair you kind of have to try really hard to get the signal to drop. During normal usage of the phone I've never noticed it dropping.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Hey guys,

So I don't own an iPhone yet or know anyone who has one so I will have to hopefully clarify some things with you guys. So basically, the big fuss is that the skin to metal contact messes up the antenna. So would using the Apple bumper COMPLETELY solve the problem? Or would it make it only a little bit better? Would the phone still have full bars despite the way you hold your iPhone, or is the reception just moderately better with the bumper on?

Edit: Lol just notice the title, it was suppose to be " Let me get this straight"
Honestly, did you not go to school and do basic physics?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
The post to which I replied said the fact Apple released a case for the iPhone was PROOF that they knew of a problem, for which the case was a fix.

I asked what problem the iPad case was designed to fix. (ie sarcasm)

because they were already testing the iphone knew it had a signal problem, couldnt be bothered spending money to fix it so they came up with 'bumper' case, then came up with the ipad case so they could say 'well we were already making cases anyway'.

needless to say I strongly suspect that the bumper was only invented to solve a problem they knew existed and didn not want to spend money they would not get back by fixing the problem, as they knew that even though it had the problem they would still be able to sell as much and rake in more profit as a result

paperboyCCC

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010

I cannot make calls and if I pickup my phone to answer the call drops. I had 10+ dropped call in the few hours before I bought a bumper. Signal still goes down with the bumper but it doesn't drop calls.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I can't speak for anyone else's phone but my own.

Without a case, I can easily replicate the signal-dropping flaw within 15 seconds or so.

With a bumper I can not get the signal to drop, no matter what I do or no matter how long I do it.

CDutch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
To be fair you kind of have to try really hard to get the signal to drop. During normal usage of the phone I've never noticed it dropping.

From my experience, it depends on how strong the signal is. At home (where I've always had good service), the bumper eliminates the antenna issues but at work (where my download speeds are ~half of what they are at home - 300k to 500k) the signal drops pretty quickly without much effort.

tpouliot

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
From my experience, it depends on how strong the signal is. At home (where I've always had good service), the bumper eliminates the antenna issues but at work (where my download speeds are ~half of what they are at home - 300k to 500k) the signal drops pretty quickly without much effort.

I have the same issue. I thought the bumper solved the issue. In my office, I have poor reception, 3-4 bars. I can reproduce the signal loss with the bumper with no problem. Where I have 5 bars, I have yet to reproduce the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.