Let iTunes organize music question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plux79, May 17, 2007.

1. plux79 macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a lot of mp3 music in my external HD which I had organized by the languages, eg. Music>English/Mandarin/Japan, etc. Can iTunes organized the songs in their respective language folder?

2. Queso macrumors G4

iTunes organises the actual file structure by artist then album then song. However, once all the media is in the iTunes library it overlays that with playlists. You could import the Japan folder for example into the Library, then use the Genre field to mark all songs as Japanese (you can do all songs at once). Then create a smart playlist for all songs with that label. Then repeat the exercise with the other languages.

Not quite what you're after but it does end up with the same effect as far as how you play the songs.

3. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Yeah, some people aren't satisfied unless they control the file layout themselves. I've never understood this, as navigating the library through iTunes is so much easier than navigating through Finder. If you're going to be using iTunes as your primary interface, why do you care how the files are layed out? I turned on the option just because I like the fact that itunes puts it all in one place instead of all over my HD -- I hate clutter.

Besides, this is the way the whole industry is going. In 10 years I think the desktop metaphor will be gone ... no need to sort by folder when you can instantly search terabytes of data, and tag related items with keywords.