Let me get this straight... (iCloud Drive/Photo Library)

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by bossmike0924, Oct 21, 2014.

1. bossmike0924 macrumors newbie

So if I buy 200GB of iCloud Storage but I have a MacBook Air with only a 128GB hard drive...will I just not see all my files on iCloud drive if I fill it with more than 128GB?

Is the solution to just buy a Mac with more internal storage? Buy an iPhone with 128GB of storage?

What was the point of me increasing my iCloud storage if I in fact need just as much local storage? I can only buy 20GB at $0.99 (which does not help me with a 64GB iPhone) and 200GB at $3.99 (makes no sense with any iOS device since the max is 128GB).

What if I have a 64GB iPhone with a 80GB iCloud Photo Library? I've added a ton of photos and they have to "optimize" themselves with the optimize option turned on for iCloud Photo Library beta.

Does anyone see what I'm getting at?

2. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

You are much better off with Dropbox. It has selective sync.

You can share it, 1Password works with it, it's a much more polished product.

Even Google Drive is better.

3. acm1108 macrumors regular

Agreed, I ended up getting a OneDrive (30gb) and it'll sync all my photos right when I take them.

4. reese2147 macrumors regular

I totally see what you are saying and I think over the long run, the functionality of iCloud is non-sustainable in its current form unless Apple bumps up storage capacity on their devices.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

So it's more of a syncing method rather than storage is what you're saying?

6. faunsnyder macrumors newbie

My Thoughts on Apple and iCloud

I wondered this as well. Pictures and Music are very important to me. I have spent hours tagging all my photos in iPhoto with faces and keeping them organized by date. I plan on getting iTunes match soon but I wanted to put all my photos in the cloud in the same manner they are stored in iPhoto which is not possible right. they have mentioned on this site that in early 2015 Apple may be adding a iPhoto type app in iCloud. I hope it lives up to what I hope it will do.
    As for the storage thing I see it as being purely to backup your devices to the cloud instead of the computer. If you back up your iPhone and iPad to the cloud you will use up 5GB of storage VERY quickly.
    My ultimate goal would be to forgo a laptop/desktop completely and have everything stored in iCloud. I'm hoping Apple gets their S*#t together soon to make this a reality.
    On the whole I find Apples seamless sharing between devices much more user friendly than trying to get photos and music moved between a PC and an android OS. When you think that just any computer or app company can create something for microsoft and android you run into massive continuity problems. I remember trying to get photos from my HTC over to my PC several years ago was a nightmare, wading through all the folders and subfolders on the phone to find the pictures was daunting. I'm not computer savvy so I would bet there was an easier way but, "ain't nobody got time for that". I like tkaing a picture and boom its on all my devices within minutes. I still struggle to figure out a workflow and how data flows between devices but on the whole its much user friendly.
    IMHO