Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've been closely following and intently reading and reviewing every single post in my other thread here in the iPad Accessories forum; titled "Search for the Best New iPad HD Case Begins." I had hoped all the replies would quickly focus me on a case that stands out but in all honesty has led me to create this thread, regarding what will actually be the case/protection I need/want/require.

1. Let's begin with the Incipio Lexington (http://www.myincipio.com/new-iPad-Cases/Incipio-new-iPad-Lexington-Hard-Shell-Folio-Case.asp). To my amazement in the other thread, this case is extremely popular. I love the sleekness and color, though admittedly used to own the InCase Magazine Jacket (http://goincase.com/products/detail/magazine-jacket-cl57925) and am realizing I may want to hold the iPad naked :)eek:) from now on.

2. The STM Skinny (http://www.radtech.us/Products/stm-skinny-ipad-case-with-stand.aspx) is different than the Incipio in terms of material, though obviously both provide similar angles. As a college student, they sell this one at our college student store and have to admit i'm not a fan of the material. It's still an option in my mind seeing as I did used to walk around all the time with one of these type of cases with my original iPad 1. Now that I'm upgrading to the New iPad I feel like taking advantage of holding a much thinner device, which in turn leads me to think the naked route.
With my iPad 1 I found myself constantly taking off my InCase Magazine Jacket and just using it nakedly, though I do use the typing and movie watching angles quite a bit with the case on.

3. From Macally (http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=425), this case offers a detachable smart cover, though the smart cover seems to come from Macally and not Apple. I think the only appeal here is that the back of the iPad is protected and offers some protection against falls and bumps and with that included Macally smart cover would get the angles we all use and are accustomed to.

4. From InCase, the Snap Case (http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl57963/1) offers back protection and some from falls and bumps which i like. I have a similar inCase case for my iPhone 4 and though it works with a smart cover, am not too sure if I even want a case to add bulk. the obvious give and take here would be back and (some) fall protection.

5. The InCase Maki Sleeve (http://goincase.com/products/detail/maki-sleeve-cl57994/1) has a unique and beautiful design. I love the thought of being able to just put my iPad on this and walk to the other side of campus to my class and still have the typing and movie watching angles it can provide. I love that it closes up via only magnets. It says it works with a smart cover but this case already provides though viewing angles. When walking about, the case will provide some protection, though none when the iPad is out of this case and in my hands. I'm sure I could pair it with the InCase Snap Case (#4) or for some reason the following (#6) caught my eye...

6. From iCarbons (http://www.icarbons.com/collections/new-ipad-3rd-gen/products/new-ipad-brushed-aluminum), I can't help but think this looks great and though it would provide protection in the sense of preventing scratches on the back of the iPad, it provides no protection if the device falls. Nevertheless couldn't help but pairing #5 & #6 together... or #5 & #4.

In conclusion, I should mention that I'm not a business man in elevators and business meetings. I'm a college student that goes to and from class with his iPad. Aside, I always have my iPad with me on my dorm room floor and in the lounges where people are studying and hanging out. Furthermore, I do take my iPad out of this University bubble as well on the weekends when I go home, go shopping at the mall or am just driving around in my car on a date. Aside from the accessories i've listed above, I too already have the STM Scout Shoulder Bag in Olive (http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-bags/scout-for-ipad-shoulder-bag/) which gets used on longer car trips or when it's gonna be a longer day or simply don't wanna walk down a dark alley with just an iPad in hand. :cool:

This Thread should've been titled, "Help Me Decide."

Everyone, thank you. :apple:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I hope you put this amount of thoughtful analysis into your school work. Buy what you think best. But never forget the other options were likely better. :p

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Wait... you bring your iPad with you on dates? Say it ain't so! :p

I certainly do. Play a movie at the beach with a headphone jack splitter in between...or playing a netflix film in the backseat of my car; the iPad has been an incredible wingman.....

Attachments

• If you know what I mean..png
    If you know what I mean..png
    57.5 KB · Views: 135

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I hope you put this amount of thoughtful analysis into your school work. Buy what you think best. But never forget the other options were likely better. :p

It's funny, I've always felt the little voice, the little me inside my head has always known all. This leads me to believe I really want the Maki Sleeve by InCase and the Aluminum finish backing by iCarbons...though I know it won't offer real protection while i'm holding it.

This led me to create the forum thread here, realistically subconsciously knowing I'll never truly be satisfied with whatever decision I end up making. There was a great TED Talk a few years back explaining the calamity of choice and how the more choice we have, how the less happy we truly are in the long wrong. With that said in mind, it seems obvious the closest solution is to simply make a decision and not look back..

..But here I am.

Arrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I think the more you use an ipad, the more you will not worry about having to have the ultimate in thinness....like we all had at first. I too felt the need for "naked" but that wore off quickly. There certainly is too much - for me like an otterbox - or a moleskin, but a normal case like the lexington or similar is fine after a while....for me...

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I think the more you use an ipad, the more you will not worry about having to have the ultimate in thinness....like we all had at first. I too felt the need for "naked" but that wore off quickly. There certainly is too much - for me like an otterbox - or a moleskin, but a normal case like the lexington or similar is fine after a while....for me...

You bring a true realization to my situation.

A case, such as the Incipio Lexington does bring protection and viewing angles to the new iPad, yet at the same time the Maki Sleeve by Incase provides the same...with the only disadvantage being the protection the Lexington provides. I can't help but notice other college students throughout my walks to and from class with their iPads and notice many of them boast a back case, such as an incase snap case with a smart cover attached. There is one particular friend who has the iPad 2 and only carries it with a smart cover. She's had it since the day I met her and takes it to class alongside her books. Hmm. I wanted to make a decision by Friday when the iPad arrives but figure I'll have it totally naked for a week and then order my accessories.... Iono... Decisions. FML.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I honestly don't worry about drop protection - as I'm a business guy and it's on desks and such most of the time. I certainly understand the need for it. I have a case for one reason - as I buy every pad that is intro'd - it goes for more when you can say "perfect condition" on ebay or wherever...

abulldog

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
This Thread should've been titled, "Help Me Decide."

I feel your pain HappyDude20. I personally have been stuck as to which case/cover/bag/skin to buy. Lurking around the accessory forum here at macrumors does not help either. Every thread I read opens up a new possiblity. The "new iPad" will be my first iPad so I would like to make sure it is protected. In the last few days I have visited numerous websites and the more I visit the more questions I have.

Heavy Duty
Otterbox Defender
Gumdrop-Drop Tech
Griffin Survivor

I have used an Otterbox on the two iPhone 4 that we own. They have provided great protection for the almost 2 years that we have had them. I was considering getting a heavy duty case because we have 2 kids in the house (4 and 9) that are pretty rough with everything they manage to get their hands on. Other than the Otterbox I haven't had any experience with either of the other two companies.

Folio Cases

Marware C.E.O. Hybrid
STM Skinny
Switcheasy Canvas
Targus Versaview
Incipio Lexington

Lots of choices here. I seem to like something or other about all of them. I do like the Marware CEO for the carbon fiber option. I think it would look nice with the afrorementioned iCarbons Black carbon fiber skin, but im not sure about the fit, it may be too tight.

Naked

iCarbons (Red and black carbon fiber)

I too am stuck for wanting that naked feeling too. I was considering a iCarbons black cabon fiber skin (the red is very nice but i am not sure if I want to be that flashy). I was unsure that if I also ordered a case for the extra protection when needed if it would fit in the case with the skin on. I would most likely just get a smart cover for it in this situation.

These are just a few of the cases that I have looked at. Don't even get me started on bags and leather cases like Saddleback.

AutomaticHaze

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Texas
If your worried about protection but want to use the iPad naked, Applecare+ is an option to consider. I will be using my Lexington case and maybe purchasing Applecare+.. still trying to decide if I want it or not. Just an option to think about!

Best of luck.

puhsitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
I just received an Incase Maki, and I miiight be returning it. As a stand, it doesn't hold up the iPad very well...it actually makes me nervous to use because I never know when it's going to give way and slap my iPad down to the table (or off the table depending on where I'm using it)! Although on my lap, it does feel a bit more secure...I think it does better on a flexible surface like one's legs than a flat surface like a table or desk.

It's funny, I've always felt the little voice, the little me inside my head has always known all. This leads me to believe I really want the Maki Sleeve by InCase and the Aluminum finish backing by iCarbons...though I know it won't offer real protection while i'm holding it.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I just received an Incase Maki, and I miiight be returning it. As a stand, it doesn't hold up the iPad very well...it actually makes me nervous to use because I never know when it's going to give way and slap my iPad down to the table (or off the table depending on where I'm using it)! Although on my lap, it does feel a bit more secure...I think it does better on a flexible surface like one's legs than a flat surface like a table or desk.

I was seriously about to order the Maki but decided to read this thread again. Thank you for being honest in your response.

Not wanting to trouble you but would you perhaps be able to post photos of the actual Maki sleeve in action? The only photos i've ever seen are on the InCase site...

You've def. made my decision making process more challenging.
InCase still hasn't announced their new iPad 3 lineup yet and its driving me bonkers.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I certainly do. Play a movie at the beach with a headphone jack splitter in between...or playing a netflix film in the backseat of my car; the iPad has been an incredible wingman.....

You'd better keep your iPad well protected in case you drop it somewhere it shouldn't be, if you know what I mean...

And leave the jack splitter at home, if you know what I mean...

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You'd better keep your iPad well protected in case you drop it somewhere it shouldn't be, if you know what I mean...

And leave the jack splitter at home, if you know what I mean...

I was now thinking about going the simple iCarbons route. Getting and aluminum brushed backing and the aluminum strips for the smart cover, meaning i'd get a smart cover and thats it...

Obviously its asthetically pleasing, though it wont offer real protection...though i do get the angles.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I was now thinking about going the simple iCarbons route. Getting and aluminum brushed backing and the aluminum strips for the smart cover, meaning i'd get a smart cover and thats it...

Obviously its asthetically pleasing, though it wont offer real protection...though i do get the angles.

Don't do it.... get the iCarbons but put a clear or smoked smart cover compatible polycarbonate case on (so you can see through to your iCarbons). These are very light and offer pretty good protection. Survived 2 drops with my iPad2.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Don't do it.... get the iCarbons but put a clear or smoked smart cover compatible polycarbonate case on (so you can see through to your iCarbons). These are very light and offer pretty good protection. Survived 2 drops with my iPad2.

That doesnt sound bad actually.

Smart Cover:$30
iCarbons Backing: $20
iCarbons Smart Cover Strips: $15
Clear back Case: $30

= F*ccckkk!

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I've been striping my covers with CF for a year or so and ran with a clear back for a long time until the Zum locked on the cover...a very nice look. (not a bmw fanboy, I work for them, roundel goes on every cover))

7ab59d28.jpg

6a606e2e.jpg

62696aba.jpg

3e4e154e.jpg

9c830961.jpg

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've been striping my covers with CF for a year or so and ran with a clear back for a long time until the Zum locked on the cover...a very nice look. (not a bmw fanboy, I work for them, roundel goes on every cover))

I love the smart cover with the icarbon strips on. As for the back clear case, would u know if you can dock that into an iPad dock??

puhsitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
I was seriously about to order the Maki but decided to read this thread again. Thank you for being honest in your response.

Not wanting to trouble you but would you perhaps be able to post photos of the actual Maki sleeve in action? The only photos i've ever seen are on the InCase site...

You've def. made my decision making process more challenging.
InCase still hasn't announced their new iPad 3 lineup yet and its driving me bonkers.

Sorry to make your life more complicated :D

After messing around with it for a little while, I'm finding that it's actually starting to get a little more cooperative...maybe the material just needs to stretch out a bit. It's very suede-y, FYI. Anyway, here are some photos of the Maki in action:

maki-low2.jpg

maki-low.jpg

maki-high.jpg

maki-in.jpg

maki-in2.jpg

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I went through pretty much the same thing last year when I received my iPad 2. I eventually opted for an iCarbon 'decal' to protect the back. (I actually chose a wood design and it looks and wore great). I used my smart cover for a bit but I found I was constantly taking it off to use my iPad. So I gave it to my husband and put on a screen protector.

I bought a simple sleeve for transport because it fits into my large tote or carry-on. I then bought the Macally DualStand. It's ugly as sin but for travel the built in stand is great plus it offers protection around the bezel and adds almost no weight. Last fall I had it on and the iPad sitting on the nightstand. My granddaughter was sleeping on that side of the bed and somehow rolled off the bed, taking the iPad with her (I guess her arm caught it). We were in a rented condo at the coast so the iPad fell directly onto the tile floor (maybe 2 feet). Came out without a scratch.

I like the 'almost naked' feel of the back skin and screen protector and then the light case and sleeve for travel. Has worked very well this last year and I'm duplicating the setup with my new iPad.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Sorry to make your life more complicated :D

After messing around with it for a little while, I'm finding that it's actually starting to get a little more cooperative...maybe the material just needs to stretch out a bit. It's very suede-y, FYI. Anyway, here are some photos of the Maki in action:

J

My goodness. It looks nice. I like the way it looks. Truth be told everyone on campus has the smart covers and I want something that stand out. The Maki seems to do that. I'm not worried about landscape orientation but portrait seems to be the one that would freak me out. I'm now, heavily considering the Maki with an iCarbon backing. Either that or a smart cover combo.

I did purchase an iPad dock online and feel this should cease any thoughts of getting a case/folio for the iPad. With my iPad 1 I used to grow her around, onto the bed and even fallen a few times onto the groups without any problems. I can only hope the new iPad is the same.

Thank for seriously for posting these pictures. I'm seriously considering getting it again. I should probably make a decision soon.

Lol, on my drive home I realized I was being extremely indecisive with choosing a case for my iPad and told myself to just get extremely drunk and just make a decision and order something online.

.... I'm 2 drinks in.

:)

abulldog

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
J

Lol, on my drive home I realized I was being extremely indecisive with choosing a case for my iPad and told myself to just get extremely drunk and just make a decision and order something online.

.... I'm 2 drinks in.

:)

Haha is that how you're supposed to do it? With my luck I'd get drunk and order all of them. :D

Thanks glen e for posting this pic:
6a606e2e.jpg

I ordered the black back iCarbon skin and I was thinking of getting the red smart cover and the black skins for the smart cover too. I like the way this looks. I spoke with iCarbons yesterday and asked them if it was possible to get a red apple for the black skin. They said they may be making that option available in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.