Let the Mobile OS Wars Begin?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SSkky Reader, Feb 16, 2009.

1. SSkky Reader macrumors newbie

SSkky Reader

Obviously Microsoft is playing catch up....... All the time, (Especially with their version of Mobile Me). I couldn't help notice how good looking their new Mobile OS Platform is with the some known features so far.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._new_mobile_os_with_apple_like_app_store.html

I always tell people, Vista is equivalent to a lesser version of Tiger & Windows 7 will be their version of Leopard. MS is always 1 year behind with their photocopying.

For PC Mobile users :confused: their might be a silverlighting after all lol.
    :apple:

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

WM 6.5 looks interesting, but there do seem to be some short comings to it, I'd be eager to get ahold of it myself, and see just how far the new UI goes(since its built on the same old core)

But for mobile OSes are stepping it up

WebOS
    Android(hopefully we finally get some new devices)
    iPhone OS
    MW 6.5
    Symbian

A new round of devices is coming! Sadly 6.5 won't be until Q4 2009, a while

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think it looks good. How the OS functions is the important part though.

The phones featured in that article are pretty nice too. I especially like the LG.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Commodore, TSR-80, Apple II, IBM, Atari, Sinclair, CP/M

It looks like the 70's and 80's all over again. I'll probably stick with my iPhone and future versions because it is compatible with all the applications I purchased.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes, that LG GM-730 does look sweet. As for its depiction on the right, cue up the "MS is copying the iPhone" crowd. It does look awfully similar to the iPhone's interface. However, looks are all that it has in common with the iPhone. Notice how the pic on the left shows off the word "multitasking" right at the top. Additionally, there is a big bluetooth icon and it also appears that the phone has a forward-facing camera. Looks very cool. To bad you see (in tiny, tiny writing): "The LG-GM730 will make its debut in the coming months but is unlikely to be sold in North America." No wonder why the iPhone has such a tight hold of the US market. We never get any cool alternatives.

All of these mobile OSs standing up and refining themselves can only mean good things for the iPhone. Does Apple really want the iPhone to be the only phone on the market that doesn't multitask, flash, or GPS, etc...

It'll also be interesting to see if MS charges for this MyPhone service.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Screenshots are the best way to make a crappy OS look awesome. Why? Because a shiny picture and some icons doesn't tell you squat.

It's impossible to really display functionality without showing a video. I didn't know if I would like the iPhone OS until I acutally used it, which is how all such devices are. The average person might think it doesn't look as good because all of these other mobile OSes have the background images straight out of The Sound of Music.

All that being said, this new MS Mobile OS was pretty predictable when others came out with good stuff. It does take Microsoft about a year to go through code and remove all the instances and logos that Apple puts in there. Move a taskbar, change the Apple logo to the Windows logo, change the name slightly, boom!

7. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Not familiar with a silverlighting? I always thought is was silver lining?
    Is this common?

8. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Except most of the new LG's will still be old winMo

9. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I bet it can record videos and send pic messages too!

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Maybe if we're lucky it will have copy/paste.......Nah.... :D

11. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Just jailbreak, sheese. I could record video, send MMS and copy/paste on my jailbroken iPhone.