Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Nermal, are you going to talk all day or are you going to contribute? ;)
I can't even find you in the stats! Or are you producing minus points, and you are from spot 401 to 801?!? Didn't check that far...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I contribute when I remember :)

It's running right now, but I often forget to start it up again after playing games.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think I might 'sneak' F@H onto mum's computer today ;) (2.4 GHz Win XP)

I've improved since my last post, now I'm at #392, which puts me in the top 26% - better than nothing! :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Dreadnought said:
Just taunting you Nermal in my previous post! Good luck folding, and getting your moms pc to fold, way to go!!

I installed it, but it had an unexpected side effect. The computer is now a lot noisier than usual :eek: (fan dynamically adjusts speed based on CPU temperature)

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
depending on the WU, it's probably about the range of a single 1.6 G5 (not the imac, don't know about that one) or a dual 1.8. Some work units are a lot faster on PCs...some are slightly faster on Macs.

If you have a Pentium and it's got HyperThreading turned on, then one instance of Folding will max out at 50% of your processor usage. If you want to fold as quickly as possible, either turn off HT or run 2 instances of Folding. One easy way to do this is to install 2 copies, one in a folder called FAH and one in a folder called FAH2. If you have multiple logins, you can log in as the "extra" account and start up folding from the FAH2 folder and then switch over to the other user. I believe there are some things set up already online somewhere that will run two instances for you automatically, so you don't have to do this at all...but you can if you need to...it works.

at that point, a HyperThreaded 2.8 will be about the same, maybe slightly slower at times, as a dual 1.8 or dual 2.0 G5.

So pretty good bang for buck.

I have a PC here at work that our accounting person uses...it's 3.0 Ghz with HT turned on, and she gets more points a day from that machine than my dual 1.8 does...hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.