Let The Upgrades Begin!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CYB3RBYTE, Oct 29, 2014.

1. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

So now that I have my first PowerMac G4 MDD, I'm going to get down to business with the details of my upgrade plans.

As it stands currently here are the specifications:
    - 1.0 GHZ Single G4
    - 768 MB DDR RAM (2x256MB, 1x512MB)
    - GeForce 4 MX with 32MB of VRAM

Upgrades that have already been installed:
    - 80GB PATA WD Caviar Black HD (I bought it with the machine for $5)
    - PCI USB 2.0 Card 5-Port (Taken from my Quicksilver)
    - PCI Wireless-N Card (Also taken from my Quicksilver)

I have these installed to run the machine for now, and I will later buy another Wireless card and another USB card just for the MDD, so I can put those back into my Quicksilver.

Upgrades to be installed:
    - 2x 250GB ATA HDs
    OR
    - 320GB ATA HD
    - AirPort Extreme Wireless-G Card
    - Apple Bluetooth Card
    - 4x512MB DDR RAM Sticks (to have 2GB total)
    - 8xSuperdrive (the current one works only when it wants to :confused:)
    - ATI Radeon 9600XT (with ADC mod for my 17" Studio Display)

My ultimate goal for this machine is for it to be the ultimate PowerMac G4! I realize that this will be hindered by the fact it is only a 1GHZ model, but I still want to do this project to prove that PPC Macs, even older ones, can step up to the plate and be usable for everyday uses still.

Leave me comments or suggestions on what you think about my plans (insert maniacal laugh here)!

2. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

3. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Yeah I should upgrade the processor, but if I were to put a different one in I would have to unsolder a resistor on the motherboard to set the FSB Speed to 167MHZ from 133MHZ. I may be on the lookout for a dual 1.0GHZ or better processor board though...

4. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

sooooo. It has a gig of Ram? or 768? lool you put 2 times 256mb.. Plus 512 is a gig. lool i had to post.

Other then that machine will be pretty nice. 1Ghz is still do-able in todays standards. heck I'm trying to revive a 350Mhz iMac G3! If that can do it this machine will do just fine!

Kinda jealous actually hehe. Always wanted a good G4 tower or iMac. Instead I got my hands on a 1.42 Emac. Heavy as hell.

5. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

What I meant is that it currently has 768MB of RAM. I must have accidentally counted twice on the 256MB module. So it actually has a 256MB stick and a 512MB stick in it right now. I have my Quicksilver upgraded, so I can just focus on this.

You are really lucky to have a 1.42GHZ eMac! Those are really rare, and they have the best graphics cards and processors. It may be heavy, but it is worth the heft!

6. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

About the Ram, the mistake was bothering me haha.
    As to the Mac i had no idea it was a Rare model. I picked it up locally for a mere $40. Without a keyboard or mouse. I managed to get a very dirty Pro keyboard in black and a pro mouse in white (mouse $5 keyboard $1). The emac wouldn't boot into its OS. But after fire wiring it to my macbook i found it was still on its original Install of Tiger. The previous owner said the Hard drive was fine and that he quote "worked in a computer store" but it wouldn't boot. So i got Leopard working on it and last month the drive did die..
    SO while I'm at school its sitting collecting dust..

7. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Man, you should really put a working hard drive in there! Those are great machines, considering they support core image and are the most upgradable.

8. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Well currently away at school and also want to get 2 Imac G3's going. But as soon as i free up a saturday afternoon i will!

9. CYB3RBYTE thread starter macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Okay. Let me know how it goes for you. I will be making a picture album of my upgrade experience on my profile, so that will be coming soon!