Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTootyFrooty

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Essex, UK
Lol. Apple will NEVER put an i Series Processor into the 13". By doing this, they ARE BOUND to putting in a Intel GPU in. Why? Because Intel think they are big enough to take on the gpu market and are taking advantage of how popular their processors are by saying, if you want our CPU's you have to have our GPU's. I Don't know about you, but I'd MUCH sooner have nVidia GPU's than Intel. More than having iX over C2D at least. The Case of the 13" will not allow for apple to simply disable the Intel GPU and add another one of their choice, as it is too small. So the choice is C2D or Intel Graphics.

RonnyC

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
London
hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat as the OP but am fortunate I am in the position to plump for the 15" although I'd prefer the smaller laptop. Unfortunately, the choice is out of my hands as I need the extra power for my uni course.

What I don't understand is how other companies (eg. Sony Vaio Z series) manage to fit i7 processors within the same size body and people here claim apple can't -could someone explain please as I'm new to all this mac stuff!

Hopefully they'll find a way and when they up the specs (in the fall?) I can sell my 15" and get the new 13" MBP!

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Else the 13 inch MBP become too popular again so the higher end models are not selling that well.

Apple can perfectly fit a corei5/i7 with a dedicated GPU in their 13 inch, but they won't do it because it will be too competitive against the higher end macbooks.

RonnyC

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
London
Else the 13 inch MBP become too popular again so the higher end models are not selling that well.

Apple can perfectly fit a corei5/i7 with a dedicated GPU in their 13 inch, but they won't do it because it will be too competitive against the higher end macbooks.

That's a shame because I think people would pay even more of a premium for a highly spec'd, portable laptop in a 13" MBP. Again, the Vaio Z or HP envy suggests there is a market for suc laptops so I can't see why Apple are holding back if that is the reason.

I for one would pay extra for a 13" i5 with a bit more beef on the GPU, as I understand the price premium comes from fitting everything in to a smaller chassis

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
That's a shame because I think people would pay even more of a premium for a highly spec'd, portable laptop in a 13" MBP. Again, the Vaio Z or HP envy suggests there is a market for suc laptops so I can't see why Apple are holding back if that is the reason.

I for one would pay extra for a 13" i5 with a bit more beef on the GPU, as I understand the price premium comes from fitting everything in to a smaller chassis

Sony or HP does not matter how good specs they provide, IT IS STILL WINDOWS :D:apple:

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
What I don't understand is how other companies (eg. Sony Vaio Z series) manage to fit i7 processors within the same size body and people here claim apple can't -could someone explain please as I'm new to all this mac stuff
because it's *cough* BS *cough*, not b/c they can't, b/c they won't. i'll continue using my white book, i think this 13" MBP refresh from jobs is highway robbery.

rob2809

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
Anyone have any info on the (recent) rumor of the Core 2 Duo processors eol'ing sometime this summer or will Intel continue to produce them throughout 2010? Once/if this happens, Apple will be forced to do the upgrade we were expecting and waiting for :D.

For apple it was :

OR iX cpu + intel HD poor graphics(less than 9400M)
OR c2d + 320M(which is twice as fast as 9400M)
OR iX + dedicated(in my opinion they should have done this for the high end 13" because the specs of the high end 13" atm are almost the same as the low end but it costs much much more)

If i could choose between first or second i would definitaly go for the second so im glad with apple's choice. Ofcourse i hoped for the 3th option. If they managed the specs of the base 15" into the high end 13" it would have been a no brainer but despite this, i think the low end 13" had a nice improvement over the previous one(the high end definately not!)

I really wouldnt get your hopes up for a refresh at wwdc. It has really no chance of being updated then. They invested a lot in the custom 320M gpu and bought probably a gigantic amount of C2D cpu so that needs to pay off. You will have to wait at least until fall, probably until the beginning of 2011 for and upgrade(maybe sandy bridge+body redesign for better heat discharge).

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Because of expected responses such as how the speed-bumped Core 2 Duo processors would be good enough, I will say up front that I don't want to pay that much for outdated technology that was obsolete at the beginning of 2010. For a notebook that I expect to be using 3-5 years down the road, I do not want to be stuck with old tech, especially with new software expected to take advantage of these new iX processors.
As a PC user prepared to take the switch for 6 months now, I will unfortunately continue to wait for the next refresh

Who are you trying to kid? The chance of someone with your outlook using the same laptop for the next five years is probably one in a billion - especially if you start out with the cheapest of the line.
If you want more than what is offered on that model, spend more money and get a better one from the range. If it's too expensive, go to a cheaper brand that caters to your budget. In the meantime, hundreds of thousands of people who the 13" is aimed at will find it ideal for their needs, and pockets.

FnuGk

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2009
Who are you trying to kid? The chance of someone with your outlook using the same laptop for the next five years is probably one in a billion - especially if you start out with the cheapest of the line.
If you want more than what is offered on that model, spend more money and get a better one from the range. If it's too expensive, go to a cheaper brand that caters to your budget. In the meantime, hundreds of thousands of people who the 13" is aimed at will find it ideal for their needs, and pockets.

well we could all just be driving a trabant as they still lets us go from a to b but i do not want to pay for a plastic car :S

your fanboy point are not valid as not me nor op wants to pay full price for old tech

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
well we could all just be driving a trabant as they still lets us go from a to b but i do not want to pay for a plastic car :S

your fanboy point are not valid as not me nor op wants to pay full price for old tech

If you want to talk about driving, what you want is the smallest, cheapest car in the range, but you expect it to be updated with the engine of the higher range models before you buy it. If you're so desperate for the better engine, buy the more expensive car and stop complaining.

tygold

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Well, i have recently bought an "old" Macbook 13", hence i am not so disappointed that apple didn't add a iX in the new MBP 13" - that said i am nevertheless wondering why the didn't.
Apart from the obvious reasons like they wanted to have a more distinguished separation between the "real" Pros and the 13", i am thinking another reason could be the case too. Well the 13" is the most popular NB Apple has and if they would want to upgrade it with iX-Processors, they would need large quantities of these. Additionally, i read that Acer and others have ordered huge quantities of these (PCStats ). So to me it reads like Apple wants to refresh the MBP with iX Cores, but they simply can't get enough of them for the big seller aka the 13" model. The "solution" would be that you just put the old C2D in the 13" plus some nice additional specs and sell them as new models in order to quieten the customers.
If this is true, i wouldn't be surprised to see a product update of the 13" MBP in Summer/autumn when the availability of icores has increased.

Tobias

Wehrwolf

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2009
I think a more practical reason why the 13" didn't get an i3/i5 is PCB real estate. It sounds like Apple isn't that interested in relying solely on Intel graphics, which they'd have to do if they went with the Core i3/i5 route because there isn't much room on the 13" logic board for a third chip. Cramming an extra discrete GPU+dedicated memory in there without increasing the overall footprint looks near impossible, and even if it could be done, heat would probably be an issue.

2010 15" MBP logic board
http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/1od1riLKYqR5mDDO.large

13" MBP (9400M)
http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/XaPYhlwqukefDI4j.large

If they went with a Core ix, Apple would likely have to settle with the Intel HD integrated graphics, which to me, isn't really a great update either.

macsr1

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
I bought it and love it. I only use it for the basic stuff but it blows away the piece of trash I was using before this. No regrets even though I wanted an i3, i5.

Absent

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
It is really sad because I would love a 13". Going to opt for the 17" though, for the express card, i7, 1920x1200 resolution, independent audio in/out, all of which CAN fit in a 13", plus some, as Sony has made everyone well aware.

They refuse to put things like esata, or usb 3.. yet drop the express card slot.. the only thing that provides a means of expansion.

I would easily pay 17" prices to get what the 17" has inside a 13". But as it is, buying a 13" is just shooting myself in the leg. It really is all because of their marketing ploy. Pretty retarded

RonnyC

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
London
If you want to talk about driving, what you want is the smallest, cheapest car in the range, but you expect it to be updated with the engine of the higher range models before you buy it. If you're so desperate for the better engine, buy the more expensive car and stop complaining.

In some respects you're missing the point a little bit here - some people don't want to be carrying a 15" or 17" laptop around and need a smaller laptop (eg. if they're travelling a lot). As someone else has stated, Sony has made people well aware that it IS possible to fit everything you could want within a 13" body and that people are willing to pay a premium for that.

As the 13" MBP is supposed to be a PRO machine it would be nice to have the best spec available to it and in my opinion, for whatever reason, apple hasn't done that which to me is the most disappointing aspect of the refresh

freesonwang

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
+1 to this thread. It summarizes exactly how I feel.

I guess I have to reluctantly wait. How long do you guys think the wait will be? I kinda think this is like that awkward time when the unibodies first came out and the 17'' wasn't updated. (remember that?) I think it was just a few months later when they were updated.

Either way, Core 2 Duo is at end of life right? Just think how screwed these 13'' Macbook Pros will be on resale value when the iCore ones come out.

Anyway, let's all wait together. *sits down*

RonnyC

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
London
+1 to this thread. It summarizes exactly how I feel.

I guess I have to reluctantly wait. How long do you guys think the wait will be? I kinda think this is like that awkward time when the unibodies first came out and the 17'' wasn't updated. (remember that?) I think it was just a few months later when they were updated.

Either way, Core 2 Duo is at end of life right? Just think how screwed these 13'' Macbook Pros will be on resale value when the iCore ones come out.

Anyway, let's all wait together. *sits down*

I'm afraid your bum might get a little numb! If it wasn't for Apple's investment in the new 320 GPU I would've hoped they might update as well.

However, if this GPU has been developed especially for Apple then I don't think it's going to get ditched anytime soon. Unless it can be used as a discrete GPU (does anyone know if this is possible?) I think the C2D's are going to be around for a little while which is a big shame

oneprouddaddy

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Texas
I too was waiting for 13 inch but bought the the i5 2.4 15inch and will likely buy a 13 when they come out. I just got tired of waiting since I was in the market since Dec 09

DontMacTheGyver

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2010
In some respects you're missing the point a little bit here - some people don't want to be carrying a 15" or 17" laptop around and need a smaller laptop (eg. if they're travelling a lot). As someone else has stated, Sony has made people well aware that it IS possible to fit everything you could want within a 13" body and that people are willing to pay a premium for that.

As the 13" MBP is supposed to be a PRO machine it would be nice to have the best spec available to it and in my opinion, for whatever reason, apple hasn't done that which to me is the most disappointing aspect of the refresh

+1
Exactly my feelings...
I need good power in 13" size. I could afford the new 15" but I won't pay a premium for a notebook I not really want...
I don't ask for BluRay or USB 3.0 or whatever... just some kind of up-to-date processor (I have 2.4 Core2Duo in my early 2008 white MB!!) and the possibility of higher resolution 13" screen.

I really hope the next refresh will bring us a more satisfying 13" MBP. Keep my fingers crossed for a killer 13" update by christmas!

freesonwang

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm afraid your bum might get a little numb! If it wasn't for Apple's investment in the new 320 GPU I would've hoped they might update as well.

However, if this GPU has been developed especially for Apple then I don't think it's going to get ditched anytime soon. Unless it can be used as a discrete GPU (does anyone know if this is possible?) I think the C2D's are going to be around for a little while which is a big shame

I know no one knows, but can someone make an educated guess as to how long we would have to wait for an iCore 13''?

The following link gives some good info:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...a-core-i5-upgrade.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

Consider the whole "if you go with iCore, you can't fit a discrete GPU in the 13''" argument and the fact that Apple specifically made the 320 for the 13''.

How long is Core 2 Duo sticking around anyway?

DontMacTheGyver

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2010
I know no one knows, but can someone make an educated guess as to how long we would have to wait for an iCore 13''?

The following link gives some good info:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...a-core-i5-upgrade.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

Consider the whole "if you go with iCore, you can't fit a discrete GPU in the 13''" argument and the fact that Apple specifically made the 320 for the 13''.

How long is Core 2 Duo sticking around anyway?

I think we have to wait the full lifecycle (about 8 months)... then completely new MBPs will be released. The Alu unibody is almost 2 years old...
So: new design, and therefore redesigned interior what means: place for iX and dedicated graphics in 13" MBP... Maybe they have to drop the superdrive for tat, but who cares?

Regards from Istanbul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.