Let's all buy our next Mac at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steve2112, Jan 5, 2010.

1. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Well, this article seals the deal for me. I'm buying my next Mac from Best Buy so I can get it "optimized". That's right, for only $40, you can have Best Buy type in your name, scan your hard drive (huh?), and install anti-virus software. What a bargain! Oh yeah, and you can pay them $220 to do what Migration Assistant does for free.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/shocking-best-buys-mac-optimization-sucks-also.html

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Dude! Mac kid I decide to click on your links as the second poster for schnittzandgiggles in 2 threads (first linking to the second and out of boredom eventually clicking the link in your sig) it was like falling down the rabbit hole LOL I never trusted Best buy for macs in the first place I just buy my hulks used and breathe life back into em.

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yeah because we all need the best buy guys to hold on to our macs for days and days while they try to figure out why anti virus wont install.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yeah, but the previous thread didn't enjoy the specific subject matter in The Consumerist article, though the threads are kinda similar.

Best quote from the article: "Best Buy's hard sell on "optimization" is like peddling mythic unicorns based on the value of their horsepower."

5. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

Darn, I knew I had seen it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. I think I read too many different message boards. I can't keep 'em straight. This article actually breaks down what they do, though. Funny stuff.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your welcome? I'm not really sure what to say...

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you want to figure out how shady best buy is go hang out by the HDMI cable section for about... 0.2 seconds... thats about how long you'll have before the *******s are on you.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

been there done that its almost like dealing with scientologists they want you to hold the tin cans and see how many thetans you have in your wallet

9. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Then I won't get my student discount! :(

Or do I? Hmmm... Never thought about that. Does anyone know if you can get a student discount if purchasing through Besy Buy or is it only through Apple?

10. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Speaking of---none of that,... why can you go online and get an HDMI cable for $3, yet at the store I have seen them for as much as $75. Now I know we do have some quality differenciation, and I also know that we can almost always go online and find better deals but HDMI cables are the biggest gap in pricing I have ever seen between online and in-store pricing.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That's a joke. GeekSquad isn't even an Apple authorized service provider regardless of what the idiots at Apple tech support tell you.