Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use AR glasses with the features in the OP?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
If you still want to see what’s going on around you in the real world...
I think a full-on video in AR is the worst of both worlds. You're not as immersed as you could be because you're seeing what's going on around you, and you're not as alert as you could be because there's a video right in front of your eyes. Either way this idea ends up as a distraction, not an enhancement or help...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think a full-on video in AR is the worst of both worlds. You're not as immersed as you could be because you're seeing what's going on around you, and you're not as alert as you could be because there's a video right in front of your eyes. Either way this idea ends up as a distraction, not an enhancement or help...

It would just be overlaid like a projector shining on a wall, without the need for a projector setup, plus you can go full on individual lenses for a 3D movie without the need for a 3D projector or visors.

I love 3D movies in PSVR but that headset for a full movie is tiring...

Reactions: Peter K.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Today sitting in the car I had another idea: What about CarPlay, only in AR? The "problem" now is that a touchscreen isn't really good to use without looking, and for you to actually manipulate it, you have to look away from the street where your attention is supposed to be (even for a fraction of a second). If CarPlay would go straight to Apple Glasses in a minimalised form, like speed, navigation alerts and so on - this would be non-obstrusive and would provide useful information at a glance. Then again, when cars could connect to CarPlay, there would be another step: Seeing what gear you're currently in, remaining range until you have to fill the tank/charge your EV again etc.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Some more thoughts: They are styled like sunglasses, but with a twist.
“Dark mode“: Sunglass mode - you‘re protected from the sunlight, everything is dark.
“Normal mode“: Glass is transparent - so they just look like normal glasses.
“Assistance mode“: Nearby items and things get highlighted, their silhouettes are pronounced.
„Night mode“: Just like night goggles - and „Assistance mode“ is an option here, too.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wouldn‘t that be too obstrusive?
Exactly, I am ok with looking around back and forth from my phone and my surrounding, but with glasses you would have no way to see outside of the glasses. I can just see people falling off cliffs and into manhole covers worse than when Pokémon Go first launched.

Reactions: MandiMac

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Exactly, I am ok with looking around back and forth from my phone and my surrounding, but with glasses you would have no way to see outside of the glasses. I can just see people falling off cliffs and into manhole covers worse than when Pokémon Go first launched.
True. The UI has to be minimal in order not to be a distraction. Maybe it will feature some eye recognition with Active Corners so you can launch a dashboard or apps that were set up via iPhone first, just like with Apple Watch. This would not require you touching the glasses awkwardly for instance. Messages could be read to one with bone conducting sound, so only you hear the content of your texts, because of privacy...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Another simple thing, when you look at a QR code, a small preview could pop-up next to the code.

And these glasses would obviously need to use Hand-off to the max. When you pick up your phone, the website the QR points to, should be ready to visit.

Another question: how would the AR glasses interact with your iDevice/mac when you're looking at your device. OS X could show it's notifications on the right side of the screen, literally outside the screen on the right.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Another simple thing, when you look at a QR code, a small preview could pop-up next to the code.

And these glasses would obviously need to use Hand-off to the max. When you pick up your phone, the website the QR points to, should be ready to visit.

Another question: how would the AR glasses interact with your iDevice/mac when you're looking at your device. OS X could show it's notifications on the right side of the screen, literally outside the screen on the right.
This is very good input, I love all your ideas. I guess the Glasses would be great for things like these - not sure about full-screen websites or videos, like a comment before suggested. Glasses will enhance our vision and life, not take over - your Handoff example is a great one :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
About the U1 chip in the newest iPhones:

The new Apple‑designed U1 chip uses Ultra Wideband technology for spatial awareness — allowing iPhone 11 Pro to understand its precise location relative to other nearby U1‑equipped Apple devices.

We know that Apple Tiles or something are in the works - Apple Glasses could give visual pointers of where a Tile or phone might be. Arrows, hues, anything would be possible :)

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium

The new Apple‑designed U1 chip uses Ultra Wideband technology for spatial awareness — allowing iPhone 11 Pro to understand its precise location relative to other nearby U1‑equipped Apple devices.

We know that Apple Tiles or something are in the works - Apple Glasses could give visual pointers of where a Tile or phone might be. Arrows, hues, anything would be possible :)

That would be awesome! Like items that glow in a videogame

• Love
Reactions: MandiMac

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I was replaying Heavy Rain the other day and thought about how cool the agent Norman Jayden's AR glasses were. While the UI is clumsy and would require a lot of hand gestures, maybe this is something Apple Glasses could also incorporate?

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012

And there is another thing for the puzzle: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pport-new-short-range-wi-fi-standard.2224547/

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Yet loads and loads of patents never make it out into the wild, but it's an interesting read nevertheless.

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Context aware visuals, say looking at a business store front it shows the important details or the menu if it's a restaurant, public transport timetable and route when looking at a station sign.

For navigation, rather than a semi transparent map, looking ahead at your path could display something like the 'racing line' assist you get in games.

A training tool when performing a physical task, say assembly. Each step could be highlighted, tools needed, instructions, torque setting etc.

I'm a quiet person, I don't like using voice assistants/commands, so possibly some sort of eye tracking and blinking to make selections and navigate. Or paired with an Apple Watch as a touch pad to navigate if needed.

Not having anything constantly displayed like a HUD, but with the option to turn things on when you want/need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.